Our ever-growing research links and partnerships in India are supported by a dedicated office in the heart of New Delhi. We also host a thriving population of more than 140 Indian students, following a range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses. The news articles below give a flavour of our varied research and other activities of relevance in India.
- Vice-Chancellor Professor Sir David Eastwood and Chancellor Lord Bilimoria will accompany a ministerial delegation to New Delhi this week to underline the University of Birmingham's commitment to forging closer ties with India.
- The University of Birmingham has named Pranay Shah as Indian Student of the Year. Pranay received this prestigious award shortly after graduating with a Masters in Biochemistry from the institution.
- Former Indian civil servant and current Secretary General of the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) Dr Alwyn Didar Singh has received an honorary doctorate from the University of Birmingham, UK. Dr Singh was named Doctor of the University (DUniv) on Wednesday 17 July in the University's historic Great Hall, in the presence of hundreds of graduands and their families.
- A ground-breaking conference at the University of Birmingham will bring together scholars from China, India and the UK to address contemporary Sino-Indian relations. Focusing on economic and security implications, speakers will also discuss the implications of China and India's simultaneous rise on the West.
- The University of Birmingham has made an impressive 15 place rise to 62nd in this year's QS World University Rankings, cementing its position in the top 100 universities globally and placing it 10th in the UK.
Recent Indian press coverage
Times of India UR Ananthamurthy in International Man Booker Prize shortlist
Hindustan Times Chew longer, get slimmer
Deccan Herald Sperm length, not just count, determines male fertility
The Hindu More students going to UK to study
Times of India Dancing robots help autistic kids learn
Education Times Peddling to success
Previous India press coverage