Visa advice for Birmingham International Summer School

Below you will find useful information to help you apply for a visa to attend the Birmingham International Summer School.

If you are a national of the EEA you do not need a visa to enter the UK.

If you are a non-EEA visitor you must have a prior entry clearance visa or entry stamp that permits study.

  1. If you are a visa national you must apply for your visa before you come to the UK. The University will provide you with a letter to use for your visa application. Check if you are a visa national on the UKBA website     
  2. If you are a non-visa national (i.e. not on the list above) you have a choice of applying for a visa before you come to the UK or you can ask for entry as a student at the airport when you arrive.  The University will provide you with a letter which you can use either to apply for prior entry clearance or to give to the Immigration Control Officer at the airport when they are checking your passport.

I am a visa national - what type of visa should I apply for?

You should apply for a student visitor visa

If you need more assistance, visit our support pages where you can find out how to submit an online query and receive further guidance on your application.

Please note

You must ensure that you fly directly into the UK.  

Do not fly via the Common Travel Area as the entry granted is only as a visitor (tourist) and does not permit study and we would be unable to admit you to the Summer School.