What you will study
admissions forms examplesThe Academic English Skills Intensive Summer Course aims to develop:
- Language accuracy and fluency for academic writing, reading, listening and speaking
- The ability to write academic papers
- Reading skills, particularly of academic articles
- The ability to listen to lectures and discussions and take notes
- Seminar skills
- Critical thinking skills
- Independence as a learner of English
- Presentation skills
- Study skills for a successful academic course of study
There is a different topic focus each week which provides a foundation for classes in the skills mentioned above. These provide input for a weekend homework assignment written using standard academic conventions.
The course is assessed through weekly assignments, seminar tasks and speaking and listening activities.
The fee for this course is £1,160
There are several ways you can pay us.
You can pay using our online shop. We recommend this method, since you do not have to pay any bank fees and the payment happens immediately.
If you pay using a bank transfer, please make sure that you have added enough money to cover all bank charges. If we have to pay any bank charges, we will ask you to pay us these charges back when you arrive.
Please use the following details to make your transfer:
Name: The University of Birmingham
Account number: 00030191
Our reference: 18670.LPAA.SNC 2587 - you must include this so that the University's Finance Office know what course you are paying for
Branch sort code: 30-19-14
Branch name and address: Lloyds TSB Bank, 142 Edgbaston Park Road, Birmingham, B15 2TY, UK
IBAN code: GB36 LOYD 3019 1400 0301 91
BIC code: LOYDGB21086
If you pay by cheque, please make sure that you have added enough money to cover all bank charges. If we have to pay any bank charges, we will ask you to pay us these charges back when you arrive.
Cheques must be in pounds sterling (£). You should make your cheque payable to "The University of Birmingham".
Applicants are encouraged to apply as quickly as possible because course places will soon be full. To apply for this course, you will need to send us the following:
You can send us these forms and documents:
- By e-mail: e-mail scanned copies of the forms and your documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- By post: send us your forms and copies of your documents to:
English for International Students Unit (EISU)
Priorsfield, The University of Birmingham
B15 2TT, UK