University of Birmingham and Hong Kong

The University of Birmingham has a long tradition of welcoming students from Hong Kong. We have a vibrant student community supported by our Hong Kong student societies and an alumni mentoring scheme to ensure our Hong Kong students make the most of their time at the University.

Hear from our students

Hong Kong student video

Interested in applying? Find out more about how to apply for undergraduate and postgraduate study at the University of Birmingham by watching our video above!

The Student Experience

Student Experience

Hear from our students about studying at the University. Find out more about our societies and the student experience of living on campus



The University of Birmingham has scholarships at undergraduate and postgraduate level for students from Hong Kong.

Entry requirements

The following information is for guidance only and should be used together with the University's general entrance requirements and any specific degree programme requirements. 

Foundation Pathways

For entry into the Foundation Pathways, we require the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE), with 4 subjects at grades 3,3,3,3 (excluding Chinese and Liberal Studies). For our Engineering and Physical Sciences pathway subjects must include a minimum grade 3 Mathematics or a grade 3 in Biology for our MLGS pathway, that progresses to a Biology focused degree.

Please visit the Foundation Pathways website for more information on our foundation programmes. 


 We will consider holders of the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) for entry to our undergraduate programmes with the grade equivalencies shown below (excluding Chinese and Liberal Studies).

 A-Level HKDSE
 A*AA  5*,5,5
 AAA  5,5,5
 AAB  5,5,4
 ABB  5,4,4
 BBB  4,4,4

Applicants for programmes with subject specific requirements will need to offer these as normal (please note that combined or integrated science will not normally be acceptable where a stated science is required i.e. Biology or Chemistry). Programmes requiring Mathematics as a specified subject will require both the Compulsory and Extended parts.

Higher level Diplomas and Associate Degrees can be considered for year one entry. A typical requirement would be an average grade of B (70-79%) or a GPA of 3.0 out of 4.0 in a relevant subject.

Holders of Higher Diplomas with a good performance (at least B+ or GPA 3.2 above) will be considered for entry to year 2 of relevant undergraduate degree programmes within Engineering and Computer Science.

Holders of the HKU SPACE Associate Degree programme with an good performance (at least B+ or GPA 3.2 above) throughout their studies may be considered for entry to year 2 of relevant undergraduate degree programmes. 


The Hong Kong Bachelor degree is considered comparable to British Bachelor degree standard. Students with bachelor degrees awarded by universities in Hong Kong may be considered for entry to one of our postgraduate degree programmes.

Students with Masters degrees may be considered for PhD study.

English Language

HKDSE English is accepted as a substitute for IELTS/TOEFL/Pearson for entry to our programmes. See the English language page for specific programme requirements and further information.


Find out about types of accommodation available during your study at the University.

Alumni in Hong Kong

Find out more about alumni activities in Hong Kong 

Contact us 

staff-alexahaslamThe University of Birmingham international recruitment contact for Hong Kong is Alexa Haslam.

If you have any questions or queries please contact Alexa by sending an email to

Birmingham representatives in Hong Kong

Our representatives in Hong Kong can provide advice on studying in the UK and, more specifically, at the University of Birmingham. They will also be able to assist you with your application.

Aston Education
5th Floor, Office Plus @ Wanchai
303 Hennessy Road
Wanchai Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 2866 9933

IDP Education
Room 2807, 28th Floor, Harbour Centre
25 Harbour Road
Wanchai Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 2827 6362

British Council

The British Council has offices in many countries throughout the world which are able to provide you with advice about studying in the UK. Most offices also have an education library and Internet facilities where you can consult university material. The British Council can also provide advice about funding opportunities.

The Postgraduate Recruitment team, academic staff and current students represent the University at study and careers fairs across the UK and the EU. Find full details of our next postgraduate visits.
For all international visits please check our events page.

EventsRSS FeedAtom Feed

There are no results that match your criteria.