University of Birmingham and South Korea

The University of Birmingham welcomes applications from students from South Korea. We currently have 141 South Korean students following a range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses.

The student experience

Find out about student life and how to get involved in the student community to make the most of your time here.


Find out more about scholarships and financial support.

Entry requirements  

The following information is for guidance only and should be used together with the University's general entrance requirements and any specific degree programme requirements. 

Please note: If you have taken exams which are from another country's national education system (eg the Arbitur from Germany or SAT and AP exams from the USA) you should consult the country specific section for that country for qualification equivalence information. If you are unsure about the acceptability of your qualifications for entry to Birmingham please contact us for further details


Students with a Senior High School Certificate with a minimum grade of 80% (or B/Wu) for old system or Senior High School Certificate at a level between 1 to 4 (with 1 being the highest) for the new system, can apply to the Birmingham Foundation Academy.
For more information on the Birmingham Foundation Academy, please visit the website.


Students with A levels, the International Baccalaureate, a 2 year Junior College Diploma, or one or two years of university level study at a recognised institution in South Korea will be considered for entry to an undergraduate degree programme. Students need a sufficiently high score in their Diploma or University level study (3.0+/4.0 or 3.2+/4.5).
Many students who have studied in South Korea have followed a 12 year education system. For admission onto an undergraduate degree programme, the University of Birmingham requires all applicants to have studied for 13 years, and therefore you may need to take a foundation year before commencing your undergraduate programme.


Students with a Bachelor degree (usually 4 years) will be considered for entry to a postgraduate Masters degree programme where the university is recognised and where the student achieves a sufficiently high overall grade (minimum GPA 3.0/4.0 or 3.2/4.5).
Holders of a good Masters degree from a recognised institution will be considered for PhD study.


English Language

You may be required to provide evidence of your English ability. See the entry requirements for specific programme requirements. 

Contact us

The University of Birmingham contact for South Korea is Alexa Haslam.

If you have any questions or queries please do not hesitate to contact Alexa or one of the International Recruitment team by sending an email to

Exchange Links with South Korea

The University enjoys close relationships with several South Korean universities. Dr Kim, the founder president of Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH) was a Birmingham graduate and a student exchange programme between POSTECH and Birmingham was established in 1989 in memory of Dr Kim. We are also proud to be a member of the Universitas 21 scheme, as is Korea University.

For more information please see the Study Abroad and Exchanges section. 

University of Birmingham representatives in South Korea

Our representatives in South Korea can assist you with questions about studying in the UK and, more specifically, at the University of Birmingham. They will also be able to assist you with the application process. 

IDP Education
5F Wooshin Building
1304-5 Seocho-Dong, Seocho-gu
Seoul 137-855
Tel: +82 2 533 7246
Fax: +82 2 533 7266

UKEO Korea
1608 LG Palace Building
Dongkyo-dong 165-8 Mapo-gu
Seoul 121-754
Tel: 02 3143 0226/0252/0380
Fax: 02 3143 0403

UKEO Gangnam Office
608 Doosan Bearstel
Seocho-Dong 1319-11
Seoul 137-070
Tel: 02 587 0217
Fax: 02 587 0218

EDM Education
11F, Kyewon Building, 32-7
Seoul 110-111
Tel: +82(0)25625091  

British Council

The British Council has offices in many countries throughout the world which are able to provide you with advice about studying in the UK. Most offices also have an education library and Internet facilities where you can consult university material. The British Council can also provide advice about funding opportunities.

For more information visit the British Council's website.


EventsRSS FeedAtom Feed

There are no results that match your criteria.