The University requires that all web content under the www.birmingham.ac.uk and the www.intranet.birmingham.ac.uk addresses attains W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 A standard. This commits us to ensuring that all users have access to the same level of information, regardless of the means by which they access the website.
All web templates have been built using code compliant with W3C standards for web page markup and their appearance (XHTML and CSS).
Web editors are given training in accessibility requirements before they can upload and edit content. They are required to continually review their websites, modify their pages to remove accessibility problems and ensure information is accessible to all users.
Any third-party company contracted to design a website for the University will also be required to comply with these guidelines.
Support for upholding the policy
A number of mechanisms are set up to support the University in upholding this policy:
- The Content Management System used to create University web pages also has an inbuilt quality assurance tool to assist editors in spotting potential accessibility issues.
- Accessibility forms part of the training that web editors receive when they first get access to edit the website.
- All pages under the www.birmingham.ac.uk and www.intranet.birmingham.ac.uk addresses are checked by a Web Approver before going live. Web Approvers are given an accessibility checklist, and will not approve a page unless it meets the guidelines.
- We hold regular accessibility feedback sessions to ensure that the site continues to meet the needs of users.
- We invite user feedback to let us know of any accessibility issues that they have encountered and are committed to responding to it.
Giving us feedback
- Though every effort is made to ensure that pages are accessible when they are first made live, the occasional error may still be made. Please let us know if you have spotted an accessibility issue by emailing us or filling out our web feedback form. We will reply to you within 7 days.