Campus time line

Aston Webb Building sketch

Chancellors Court under construction1900

The University of Birmingham is established by Royal Charter on 24 March as the successor to Mason University College


Construction begins on land in Edgbaston, donated by Lord Calthorpe

Aston Webb and Clock Tower under construction1909

The clock tower is completed, and the Aston Webb Building and Edgbaston campus are formally opened by King Edward VII on 7 July


1914WWI Miltary Hospital Sisters Quarters in University House

The Great Hall is used as a hospital for the duration of the First World War

1932 student-guild-outside 

The Guild of Students building is opened and becomes the first ever purpose-built base for student representation


Barber Institute of Fine ArtThe Barber Institute of  Fine Arts is  opened by Queen Mary,  the grandmother of our present Queen, and the Great Hall is used as a gymnasium for servicemen for the duration of WW2


The University acquires Winterbourne House and gardens; the home of engineering magnate John Nettlefold 


Major expansion of the University campus begins with the construction of Muirhead Tower, Staff House and the Munrow Sports Centre


The University begins work on the Raymond Priestly Centre in the Lake District


University Station is opened


Nine HE colleges merge with the University and the Selly Oak campus opens

Celebrating 100 years2000

The University celebrates its centenary year


The centenary of the official opening of the University’s Edgbaston campus


The new Centre for Computational Neuroscience and Cognitive Robotics opens to undertake groundbreaking research

Related Video