Official University of Birmingham archives

Official archives

At present, the vast majority of the official archives of the University are un-catalogued. However, work is ongoing to arrange and list the archives, and there are electronic finding aids for some of the material, available via our online archive catalogue:

  • Records of the Guild of Students of the University of Birmingham and Mason Science College from the early 1880s to the 2010s. Finding No: UB/GUILD. A resource guide to these records is also available
  • Records of Mason Science College, the university’s predecessor institution which opened in 1880 and was absorbed in the newly established University of Birmingham in 1900. Finding No: UB/MC. A resource guide to these records is also available
  • Records of Queen’s College and its predecessor institution the Birmingham School of Medicine which was established in 1828. The medical faculty of Queen’s College transferred to Mason College in 1892. Records cover the period 1831-1905. Finding No: UB/QC
  • Records of Chancellor’s Hall, residential accommodation for male students between 1922 and 1970. Finding No: UB/HCH
  • Records of student societies, University of Birmingham Chemical Society, Finding No: UB/SOC1 and Birmingham University Dental Students Society. Finding No: UB/SOC2
  • Collections of papers relating to the University of Birmingham, including papers relating to the founder of Mason Science College, Josiah Mason, Finding No: UB/MISC/JM, papers relating to the founder of the Birmingham School of Medicine and Queen’s College, William Sands Cox, Finding No: UB/MISC/SC, and papers relating to Hermann Georg Fiedler, Professor of German at Mason Science College and the University of Birmingham, which discuss the establishment of the School of Modern Languages at the new university. Finding No: UB/MISC/HGF
  • Detailed box list of Records of Westhill College, training centre for Sunday school teachers founded 1907 and later teacher training college which merged with the University of Birmingham in 2001. Finding No: WC
  • Records of University House, hall of residence for women students established in 1904 which became a mixed hall in 1964 until its closure in 2002, and Records of University House Association, the alumni group for former residents of the hall of residence, 1908 to 2009. Finding No: UB/HUH