Please note that this applys to HSMC postgraduate students only.
If you are from any other departmentin the university you will not be able to access your reading list in this way.
Firstly log into Blackboard (also know as WebCT)
1. Go to the HSMC Library home page .
2. Scroll half way down the page, open the 'Quick links' section and click on the link called 'HSMC Blackboard'.
3. You will now be on the 'Welcome to WebLearn' page. On the right hand side of the page in the pale grey box click on the 'WebCT 2012-13' link.
4. Log in using your Birmingham University username and password.
5. This will have been issued to you after your registration either in a letter or email or both from the University. The username is three letters and numbers based on your initials.
- If you do not know your log on details and you do know your student number then contact the IT Helpdesk on 0121 414 71741 and they will look it up for you.
- If you do not know your log in and you do not know your student number and then contact your course administrator to obtain your student number and then contact the IT Helpdesk on 0121 414 71741 and they will look up your log in details for you.
- If you have recently registered or have not yet registered then your student account may still being set up. In which case keep trying to log in or ring the IT Helpdesk on 0121 414 7171.
- If your log in doesn't work firstly make absolutely sure you have typed the details in correctly! It is case sensitive.
- If you are 100% sure that it does not work then contact the IT Helpdesk on 0121 414 7171 and they will check the details for you.
Now navigate around Blackboard
1. You may have problems running Blackboard on your machine - this may include issues with pop ups, Java or fire walls.
If so next time you are about to use Blackboard run the Browser check underneath the log in box to see what is going wrong.
2. Once you are logged in the first page you see includes your course list in the centre column. This will include:
• the modules for which you are currently registered
• the Study skills section
• the Postgraduate programmes section
• the Library resources section
4. If you do not see any of these links then contact me, Lucy Drake quoting your Birmimgham username and then LOG OUT of Blackboard. I will enrol you and when you next log in to Blackboard you will see the link in the list.
5. Whilst you are here you may wish to look around at the information
Find your reading list
1. From the course list choose the module for whose reading list you are looking for
2. Remember that you are looking for the name of your current module and not that of your course.
3. Look inside the 'Module resources' folder and there will be the link to the reading list.
3. Be aware that there may be more than one version of each list available, for example, different years or different groups of students.
5. The reading list on Blackboard will direct you to the resources shown on your paper reading list and it should be an identical copy. If you notice any discrepancies between the two then please let us know so we can update our version.
6. If you click on a link that doesn't work then please use the 'Broken link?' facility in the list to report it to us. We will email you the missing information and repair the link.
If you have any problem with Blackboard then contact Lucy Drake..