Anticoagulation Management in Primary Care
- Centre for Professional Development – B1 on the Edgbaston Campus map
- Medical and Dental Sciences
This course consists of pre course learning, 3 days of lectures, seminars, facilitated group discussions and practical workshops. To achieve full accreditation it is necessary to successfully undertake both written and practical assessments plus a summative assessment in the six months following course attendance. The summative assessments are conducted within anticoagulation management clinics.
1. An understanding of the theory underpinning anticoagulation management
2. An understanding of the pharmacology of vitamin K antagonists and the relevant medication, side effects, antidotes, interactions and dosing
3. A knowledge of the management of anticoagulation and prevention of complications on the basis of current guidelines and existing research evidence
4. An understanding of the roles of the multi professional disciplinary team in managing anticoagulation safely
5. An understanding of the requirements of clinical governance for anticoagulation management developing / adapting and applying audit tools with performance indicators.
Programme to include
How warfarin works and the INR; anticoagulation guidelines; anticoagulant near patient testing; quality control; NPT workshops; litigation issues; stroke prevention and atrial fibrillation; patient self management; protocol development and accountability
Professor David Fitzmaurice – GP & Clinical Lead of Primary Care, UoB
Dr Will Lester – Consultant Haematologist, QE Hospital Birmingham
Health Care Professional with first degree or equivalent
Clinical Sciences Building, University of Birmingham
Is this course accredited?
10 / 20 MSc credits awarded for completion of assessment.
This 3 day course is CPD accredited.
How to apply
Register for this course online with a credit/debit card at our online shop.
For more information please contact Amy Partleton
Tel: 0121 414 2677
Fees will be refunded on a sliding scale as follows: within 2 weeks prior to course date 25% refunded; 2-4 weeks prior to course date 50% refunded, 4-6 weeks prior to course date 75%; 6 weeks plus 100% refund. It may be possible to transfer your reserved place to another available date when 6 weeks or more notice is provided, transfers with less than 6 weeks before date of course are subject to administration fees.
Please note that some of our courses are subject to bench fees. Please enquire for further details.