Child Protection Training for Senior Clinicians'
- Centre for Professional Development – B1 on the Edgbaston Campus map
- Medical and Dental Sciences
This level 3 course is designed for senior doctors who are involved in child protection work. It is desirable that applicants possess prior child protection training at ALSG/RCPCH level 1 (recognition and response) and Local Safeguarding Children Board Level 2 (multi-agency). Trainers are Senior Paediatricians experienced in child protection work.
The course aims to provide doctors with:
- an understanding of the social and legal framework around child protection, current issues and the role of doctors within it, including consent and confidentiality issues
- the opportunity to study how child protection work varies from other aspects of clinical practice
- an understanding of the mechanisms of injuries and the assessments and investigations required
- an understanding of the key principles of child sexual abuse examination
- the opportunity to develop skills in writing medical reports and witness statements with an emphasis on opinion formulation - there is pre-course work to facilitate this
Who is the course for?
This course is intended for Consultants, Specialist Paediatric Trainees, SASG doctors and Forensic Medical examiners.
Centre for Professional Development, College of Medical and Dental Sciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT
Is this course accredited?
This course has been accredited 11 CPD points by RCPCH
Fee includes lunch and refreshments on both days of the course.
How to Apply
Register for this course using a debit/credit card at our online shop.
Please contact the Centre for Professional Development for more information:
Tel: +44 (0)121 414 8606 / 8607 / 8608