Work experience guide
Everything you need to know to make the most of work experience.
What are the benefits of work experience?
Work experience helps you to:
- Prove your commitment to and your awareness of the realities of your career choice.
- Develop valuable transferable skills like team working, communications, networking and project management.
- Develop your self confidence and assertiveness.
- Get hands-on experience of organisational working practices.
- Learn about an occupation and decide whether it is for you.
In a recent survey 83% of students reported an increase in their knowledge, confidence and competence as a direct result of their work experience.
Get work experience
Now that you have decided to do work experience, you will need to decide what type of work experience is best for you. Your application will be stronger if you know exactly what you want.
Once you know what you want, you can start looking for opportunities. And, when it's time to apply, we can give you advice on applications and interviews.
If you're in your first year, you may not be able to apply for a lot of vacancies yet, but
Find out more
An employer speaks
"The graduate employment market is now intensely competitive. Many employers don't just want bright and intelligent young people, but they additionally want evidence of employability, or being ready for the world of work. Internships represent a great way of the young person gaining some experience of the workplace; and offer employers the opportunity of clarifying what they are looking for and perhaps even assessing interns for future employment." - Chris Banks, businessman and alumnus of the University of Birmingham