Everything you need to know about undertaking work experience if you are a current postgraduate student.
Careers Network offer exclusive work experience programmes that are open to postgraduates, as well as guidance on finding your dream work experience opportunity, and advice for the application process.
Finding work experience
Exclusive internship opportunities
The University offer a range of bespoke internship programmes, which are open to postgraduate students. These paid opportunities range from working with SMEs, to social enterprises to completing an internship virtually, without needing to leave the comfort of your home:
- Careers Connect: The University's careers database advertises internships, part time work in career settings, volunteering and other work experience vacancies. Just select "Internship", "Summer Internship", "Work experience", "Postgraduate Job Opportunity", or "Volunteering", when you search for vacancies.
- Careers resources on Canvas: Use the Careers A-Z tab to look at sector specific resources, including useful websites and hand-outs.
- Prospects: Use the job profiles to help you explore career options and discover relevant employers hiring in the field.
- Find work experience and internships: We have a specific resource dedicated to how to go about finding opportunities.
A large proportion of work experience opportunities aren't advertised, it's what is called the hidden jobs market. Therefore, you might find that in order to secure the role you want, you will need to approach an organisation speculatively
Approaching an employer
We have a dedicated page on approaching a company, take a look for some useful advice.
When approaching a company speculatively by email, you need to ensure you attach your CV and write a stand out cover letter. We have a Canvas resource specifically on CVs and Cover Letters, or you can come along to one of our Apply Yourself workshops, no need to book just turn up when you're free.
If you find your perfect work experience opportunity and you are unsure how you are going to fund it, take a look at the resources below:
Careers Network support
Book an appointment
Book an appointment to see a member of your College Careers Network team for specialist help and advice in your area. You can book a one to one appointment to discuss internships, CVs and applications, and careers guidance.
Enrol onto one of our postgraduate Canvas courses, where you will find information on career planning, case studies from alumni, presentations from previous events and updates on relevant job vacancies.
- Masters Careers Online - enrol now
- Careers Action Planning for Masters Students - enrol now
- PGR Careers Outside of Academia - enrol now
Postgraduate careers events
Visit our events page for all upcoming workshops, presentations and events for postgraduates.
Postgraduate careers website
For further support, visit the Careers Network postgraduate website.
I don't know where to start
Take a look at the Finding Work Experience section on this web page, and if you want further guidance, book an appointment to see your College Internships Officer by going to Careers Connect.
Are there opportunities specifically for postgraduates?
Yes! Take a look at our Exclusive Internship Opportunities in the Finding Work Experience section on this web page, these are all paid opportunities and only open to students at the University of Birmingham. We also advertise postgraduate specific opportunities on Careers Connect, the University's careers database.
How will I fit an opportunity around my studies?
First of all, be realistic! Don't sign up to anything that you aren't going to be able to commit to whilst you're studying. We do advertise part time opportunities, as well as short term full time roles, so keep a look out on Careers Connect.
Can I get financial support for my work experience?
The Funding section on this web page lists some useful resources you can access for financial support for your work experience.