Alumni Leadership Mentoring
This is a unique one year opportunity to learn from Birmingham alumni mentors who are experts in their field and want to help you succeed after graduation!
What is mentoring?
Mentoring is an opportunity to receive one to one advice and guidance from a professional working in your chosen sector. A mentor shares their knowledge, skills and experience to help you progress in you career.
It is about more than giving advice, it’s about motivating and empowering and helping you to understand yourself and your aims – and how you can get there.
Benefits for you
It’s a unique opportunity to challenge yourself and reach your potential by receiving invaluable feedback from extremely knowledgeable mentors.
- Gain real insight into a sector and a management role within this
- Establish a professional relationship whilst still at university
- Sound out your ideas and goals
- Meet fellow students with a similar strive to succeed after graduation
You apply in your penulimate year and if successful receive one to one mentoring support during your final year to help you with the tranisition from graduation to employment.
Check out our Frequently Asked Questions page for further information.
How to apply
Open to undergraduates in their penultimate year. Plus medical and dental science students in their third or fourth year.
The application process is split into two parts:
1. Application form – you need to submit your application form.
2. Interview – if you are successfully shortlisted, you will be invited to an interview.
Drop-in sessions for application support
We will be all around campus until the deadline of 8 May, including a few locations where we will be offering support on your application form. If you would like some advice, pop by one of the relevant sessions given below. If you are unable to attend, check out our Canvas course: Top tips on being successful with your application.
- 26 April, 12pm to 1.30pm, Muirhead Tower foyer area (Application support drop-in from 12pm to 1pm)
- 27 April, 1.30pm to 3pm, Computer Science foyer area
- 28 April, 12pm to 1.30pm, Shell Lounge, Mechanical Engineering
- 29 April, 12pm to 1.30pm, Mason Lounge, Arts
- 3 May, 12pm to 1.30pm, Muirhead Tower foyer area (Application support drop-in from 12.30pm to 1.30pm)
- 3 May, 6pm to 7pm, Wolfson Common Room, Medical School (Application support drop-in from 6pm to 7pm)
- 4 May, 12pm to 1.30pm, Learning Centre foyer area
- 5 May, 2.30pm to 3.30pm, Biosciences Undercroft
Timeline for applicants
- Interviews take place: beginning of June for non-medical mentors and 29 to 30 June for medical mentors.
- Outcome of interview: for non medical mentors we will try to notify you by 20 June. Please note some mentors may make the final decision themselves so time is allowed in case a mentor is out of the country. For medical mentors most decisions will be made by 8 July but allow until 18 July for similar reasons.
Timeline for mentees
- Mentees to provide a short biography to send to mentors by 12 September.
- Group mentee induction: week commencing 3 October (date and time confirmed nearer the time).
- Mentoring occurs from October 2016 to June 2017.
- All mentees to send regular progress updates and blogs throughout the programme.
- Celebration event occurs in July 2017.
Meet the mentors
All of our mentors are proud to be Birmingham graduates who have gone above and beyond to reach their goals in order to be the best in their field. This is a chance for you to gain priceless advice from alumni who understand what it is like to be a student here at Birmingham but also have the wealth of professional experience to share.
See below for the full list of mentors this year, where you can choose your top 3 mentors when completing your application form.
Current position: CEO at Boyd's
Course: Biochemistry, 1977
Expertise: This mentor can help students who are interested in the health sector and a pharmaceutical career.
Current position: Controller at Radio 3
Course: BA, English, 1982
Expertise: Drama, Theatre Arts or Music, Arts and Arts Management.
Current position: Executive Search and Career Management Consultant
Course: BCom, Industrial Economics and Business Studies, 1965
Expertise: Relates to all disciplines and interests in leadership, management and networking
Current position: Former Bupa Group Medical Director and Bupa Foundation Deputy Chair
Course: MBChB, Medicine, 1976
Expertise: Medicine, careers in the health sector and trained surgeon.
Current position: Retired Chief Dental Officer, currently non-executive director at UK Corporate provider of dentistry ‘MyDentist’
Course: BDS, Dentistry, 1973
Expertise: Dentistry, dental hygiene, biomedical materials science and other health related courses.
Current position: Group Chairman and Group CEO, AMV BBDO
Course: BA, French, 1981
Expertise: Creative careers – advertising and communications.
Current position: Labour Peer in the House of Lords and member of the Parliamentary Delegation to the Council of Europe
Course: PGCE, Education, 1962; BA, French Language & Literature, 1961
Expertise: Social Work, Social Policy, Education or Languages and careers in health, social care, policy or campaigning.
Current position: Non-Executive Director and former Partner, Deloitte
Course: BSc Geological Sciences, 1976
Expertise: Consultancy, business management, international careers, manufacturing and leadership positions.
Current position: Product Development Director, Aston Martin
Course: B.Eng. Mechanical Engineering
Expertise: Engineering, product development and manufacturing.
Current position: CEO, Crew Clothing Company
Course: BCom, French, 1986
Expertise: Enterprise, business management, product/brand development and marketing.
Current position: Labour and Co-operative Member of Parliament for Liverpool Wavertree and Shadow Cabinet Minister for Mental Health.
Course: BCom Commerce with Spanish, 2004
Expertise: Politics, Government, International Relations, Social Policy and environmental and energy policy.
Current position: Managing Director at Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Course: BSc Economics, 2004
Expertise: Finance, prime brokerage and account management.
Current position: Working peer and company director
Course: LLB, Law, 1972
Expertise: Journalism, economics or politics.
Current position: Director of plays, opera and film
Course: BA, French, 1981
Expertise: Drama, Theatre Arts or English, careers in theatre, film or television.
Current position: National Clinical Director for Diabetes 2008-2013
Course: MBChB, Medicine, 1974
Expertise: Medicine, nursing, diabetes and careers in health.
Current position: Director, Cabinet Office
Course: BCom, Commerce, 1988
Expertise: Politics, Social Policy, economics and business management.
Current position: Chorus Director, City of Birmingham Symphony Choruses
Course: DMus, Honorary Degree, 2008
Expertise: Music and choral careers.
Current position: Chief Inspector of General Practice, Care Quality Commission
Course: Medicine, 1982
Expertise: Health care sector.
Current position: Actress
Course: BA, Drama and Theatre Arts, 1988
Expertise: Creative careers in drama, theatre and the arts.
Current position: HR Director, BBC
Course: BCom, Commerce, 1981
Expertise: HR, management, leadership roles and/or construction management
(back to top)