Careers Network Mentoring
OPEN TO ALL UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS!
This scheme aims to help all students throughout their time at university. From adapting to the university lifestyle in your first year, to finding where your career path lies in your final year, this scheme allows you to sound out your ideas with a mentor.
Mentoring is a great way to seek advice from a University of Birmingham graduate. Our alumni mentors understand the difficulties of applying for internships and trying to secure a graduate job and want to share their experiences with you to help you succeed.
- Seek invaluable advice on how to utilise your time at university.
- Gain real insight into a sector and how to succeed.
- Build your contacts within a professional environment.
- Sound out your ideas and goals.
We are holding information sessions for you to find out more about mentoring and our Careers Network Mentoring scheme. Come along to gain some useful tips on the application process and find out more about the mentoring experience.
1. Application Form
- Submit your application form via our mentoring software by Midnight Sunday 15 November 2015.
2. Select ONE mentor
- If your application is approved, you will be informed by Tuesday 17 November 2015.
- You then need to log back into the system and select ONE mentor from the list available by Midnight Sunday 22 November 2015.
- Receiving a mentor is on a first come first served basis.
- Apply as early as possible as we will start reviewing applications from 9 November until 17 November.
- Search thoroughly through the system as there is a wide range of mentors and take your time to read through their profiles. Particularly as you may not find their job role is what you want to do, but they have a wealth of experience to offer in many other ways for your career development.
Our mentors have kindly volunteered their time to help you succeed after graduation. Most of our mentors are alumni and are in a range of different sectors. They understand what it is like to be a Birmingham Graduate and the difficulties that can arise from finding a job in a competitive market. They want to help you explore your options and decide on the right career path for you!
We have mentors in a number of sectors including:
- Advertising and marketing
- Environment and conservation
Plus many more!
- Deadline: 15 November 2015
- Induction training sessions: 30 November 2015 to 4 December 2015 (Only for successful students)
- Check-in surveys - we would like to find out how you are progressing with your mentor and will send these out during the initial stages and half-way through.
- Mentoring occurs from December 2015 to June 2016.
- Final evaluation - at the end of the scheme we would like to find out how you have benefited from being mentored and if there are improvements that can be made to our scheme.