Careers Network Mentoring
Open to all undergraduate students.
This scheme aims to help all students throughout their time at university. From adapting to the university lifestyle in your first year, to finding where your career path lies in your final year, this scheme allows you to sound out your ideas with a mentor. For any queries please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Careers Network Mentoring scheme will re-open on 26th September 2016.
What is mentoring?
Mentoring is a unique opportunity that allows University of Birmingham students to enhance their experiences, by receiving one to one advice and guidance from a professional working in a particular sector. This can be a great way to understand how to succeed in this area and be better prepared for the working world beyond graduation.
It is about more than giving advice, it’s about motivating and empowering and helping the other person understand themselves and their aims – and how they can get there. Mentoring is not counseling or therapy - though the mentor may help the mentee to access more specialised avenues of help if it becomes apparent that this would be the best way forward.
Our mentors have kindly volunteered their time to help you with your career development. We have asked mentors to offer at least one hour a month, but please note this may vary depending on their work schedule.
It is not an offer of employment or work experience nor will the mentor do the work for you, it is up to you to drive the relationship.
Benefits for you
Mentoring is a great way to seek advice from a University of Birmingham graduate. Our alumni mentors understand the difficulties of applying for internships and trying to secure a graduate job and want to share their experiences with you to help you succeed.
- Seek invaluable advice on how to utilise your time at university.
- Gain real insight into a sector and how to succeed.
- Build your contacts within a professional environment.
- Sound out your ideas and goals.
Career insight from our mentors
Our mentors have kindly volunteered their time to help you succeed after graduation. Most of our mentors are alumni and are in a range of different sectors. They understand what it is like to be a Birmingham Graduate and the difficulties that can arise from finding a job in a competitive market. They want to help you explore your options and decide on the right career path for you!
We have mentors in a number of sectors including:
- Advertising and marketing
- Environment and conservation
Plus many more!
- Deadline: 13 November 2016
- Induction training sessions: 21 November 2016 to 25 November 2016 (Only for successful students)
- Progress check points - we would like to find out how you are progressing with your mentor and will send these out during the initial stages and half-way through.
- Mentoring occurs from December 2016 to June 2017.
- Final evaluation - at the end of the scheme we would like to find out how you have benefited from being mentored and if there are improvements that can be made to our scheme.
- Celebration event - at the of the scheme we invite all mentors and mentees to celebrate their successes over the year.