Gain career insight with mentoring
Mentoring is a unique opportunity that allows University of Birmingham students to enhance their experiences, by receiving one to one advice and guidance from a professional working in a particular sector. This can be a great way to understand how to succeed in this area and be better prepared for the working world beyond graduation. For any queries please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is mentoring?
Mentoring is about more than giving advice, it’s about motivating and empowering and helping the other person understand themselves and their aims – and how they can get there. It's also about helping each other resolve issues, whether directly or more often through advice and sharing experiences.
Our mentors have kindly volunteered their time to help you with your career development. We have asked mentors to offer at least one hour a month, but please note this may vary depending on their work schedule.
It is not an offer of employment or work experience nor will the mentor do the work for you, it is up to you to drive the relationship.
Benefits for you
- Gain real insight into your chosen sector or career
- Build your contacts within a professional environment
- Sound out your ideas and goals
- Meet fellow students with a similar strive to succeed at university and beyond graduation
- Seek advice on developing your skill set
- PSA points! By taking part in our mentoring schemes you can gain points towards your Personal Skills Award
- Gain a new perspective from a Birmingham student
- Rewarding experience knowing that your advice has helped a student progress
- Your mentee can offer support to your business, whilst being mentored, showing that mentoring is a two-way process.
Student Mentoring Schemes - open in 2016
Our schemes are designed to help you reach your own goals by receiving invaluable advice from an experienced mentor.
Open to all undergraduate students until 13 November 2016.
This scheme allows you to apply to mentors based on your desired career and seek invaluable advice throughout your time at university. Read about the Careers Network Mentoring scheme.
Mentors are allocated on a first come first served basis, so apply as early as possibe!
Open to all students until 6 November 2016.
LAUNCH EVENT ON 26 OCTOBER
The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) scheme matches students with employers across a range of occupations in Birmingham to get advice on how to be happy and fulfilled as an "out" LGBT employee. Read about the LGBT Mentoring scheme.
Student Mentoring Schemes - open in 2017
Re-opens in March 2017 - open to undergraduate penultimate year students and medical and dental science students currently in their third or fourth year.
This programme is a fantastic way to gain advice from Birmingham graduates who are leading experts in their field. Read about the Alumni Leadership Mentoring scheme.
Re-opens in March 2016 - open to final year undergraduate and postgraduate taught students.
This scheme aims to help students transition from university into employment. Read about the Graduate Mentoring scheme.