British Consulate - General internship in Chicago
About the internship
The British Consulate-General in Chicago represents the UK government in 13 states across the upper Midwest of the United States. The Consulate-General deals with a wide range of political, commercial, security and economic questions of interest to the UK and this region of the United States.
The Consulate General provides consular assistance to British nationals in: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.
About the internship
The eight week internship will involve the student in a broad range of duties covering UK Government priorities in the Midwest region of the US. The successful applicant will be working to the Deputy Consul General, providing support to teams across the Consulate helping take forward the UK’s prosperity agenda, Policy & Communications interests, Education, Science & Innovation work and Consular assistance to British Nationals. The student will also be expected to complete one visit programme across the Midwest, accompanying the Deputy Consul General.
- Produce high quality reports/papers covering issues in the Midwest region that are of interest to key stakeholders, and that will further the policy debate in DC and London
- Contribute to the work of different teams across the Consulate
- Advance the relationship between Midwestern academic institutions and their British counterparts
- Support representational work that will promote British interests across the Midwest
- Provide support to the Consulate-General’s digital communications platforms
- Coordinate any outgoing visits to the Midwestern US by the Consul General or Deputy Consul General, or inward visits from senior members of the UK Government
Qualifications and skills
Applications are welcome from students studying Economics and International Affairs.
We are looking for individuals who:
- are proficient with Microsoft Office products, including Outlook, Word and Excel
- have strong writing and research and analysis skills
- are literate in the use of digital engagement tools in a professional environment, including Twitter, Flickr and Facebook
- is a resourceful asset in a professional office environment
- can represent the UK effectively in an international environment
- is a UK Citizen
- a strong working knowledge of – and interest in – the political landscape and leadership of the United States is desirable.
- can work 40 hours per week. 8:30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
How to apply
Global Challenge 2015 applications have now closed.
The recruitment Timeline and internship commencement:
- Application period: Applications now closed
- Shortlisting and interview period: Shortlisting has now finished
- Offer period between 26-29 May 2015. Offer period complete
- Internship period: 28 July 2015 for 8 weeks.