The University Library is administered by the Library Services Division of Academic Services. It operates within a complex Higher Education environment. It is subject to internal regulatory processes and to applicable external legislation. As a critical learning resource it is central to the student experience at Birmingham.
Library Services, under its Director, is divided operationally into three areas:
- Academic Engagement
- Customer Support
- Collection Management and Development
Library Services operates in line with the following core functions:
- To support the teaching, learning and research activities of the University through the provision of information resources, both in print and in electronic formats;
- To provide support and training to students in order that they may most effectively use the Library’s resources;
- To develop the Library collections and associated work-study environments in line with changing user needs;
- To engage with the student cohort and with academic staff in order to ensure that the appropriate levels of user feed-back are maintained;
- To engage with the local community through the provision of external membership and walk-in visitor arrangements.
More information on Library Services