University rolls out the red carpet for staff who go the extra mile
The stars were out in force last night as they took to the red carpet for the University of Birmingham's answer to the BAFTAs - the BUAFTAs.
More than 350 university staff packed in to Birmingham's Great Hall for the BUAFTA (Birmingham University Awards for Tremendous Achievement) gala awards ceremony, which was compered by Birmingham journalist and University alumnus Michael Collie.
The BUAFTAs recognise the University’s staff who make an outstanding contribution. The awards are ‘by staff, for staff’, enabling colleagues to nominate those who they feel go the extra mile in their jobs.
Professor Michael Sterling, Vice Chancellor of the University, said: "We are delighted with the success of the BUAFTAs event. I would like to congratulate all of our winners on their achievement and indeed everyone who was nominated. They can be proud to know they have inspired the respect and admiration of their colleagues.
"The response to the BUAFTAs has been overwhelming. I would like to thank everyone who played a part in the awards for helping to make this a most memorable event and for giving the finalists a chance to shine."
The event also featured a charity raffle with prizes donated by sponsors. All proceeds will be split between three local charities: The Bridge, Autism, West Midlands and Victoria School and Specialist Arts College
Notes to Editors:
Photographs of the winners (listed below) are available, contact Rachel Burrows to request files.
Full List of Winners
- Award for Best Contribution to the Environment - Catherine Taylor, International Relations and International Student Advisory Service
- Award for Best Newcomer – Rachel Shepherd, University of Birmingham Sport, Hospitality and Accommodation Services
- Award for Outstanding Contribution of the Year – Simon Shakespeare, Estates
- Best Customer Service Award – Valerie Tabenner, Catering, Hospitality and Accommodation Services
- Diversity Award – The Maintaining and Sustaining Widening Participation Team, cross-departmental
- Leadership Award – Ian Barker, Estates
- Lifetime Achievement Award (two winners in this category) – Chris Clifford, IT Services, and Hazel Robinson, School of Sport and Exercise Sciences
- Project of the Year Award – CalmYou Project Team, Counselling and Guidance Team, Academic Services
- Team of the Year Award (two winners in this category) – Degree Dinner Team, cross-departmental, and Degree Congregations Team, Academic and Student Administration, Academic Services
- Team Player of the Year Award – Sarah Long, Student Advice and Support, Academic Services
- The Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Original Thinking – Student Recruitment, Corporate Relation
The University of Birmingham is grateful for the support of the following organisations who helped to sponsor the BUAFTAs 2009:
Platinum: Gresham, Office Depot
Gold: Bruker BioSpin, Couch Perry & Wilkes Partnership, Faithful & Gould, Glenn Howells Architects, GV Multi-Media, Oyster Communications, Prolinx Ltd, Robinson Low Francis LLP, Shaylor Group
Table: A&H Construction, Associated Architects, Barnsley Bate, Getech, Murray & Willis
Couch Perry & Wilkes Partnership, Delta Travel, Océ, Oyster Communications, Pertemps, Viglen
Further media information:
Rachel Burrows – Head of Communications, University of Birmingham
tel: 0121 414 6681 / email: / mob: 07789 921165