At Birmingham, we pride ourselves on offering the highest-quality experience in both your academic and student life. You’ll be joining a leading university community, working alongside academics who are global experts in their field. We’ll guide you towards self study, encouraging and emphasising the importance of originality and independent thinking.
An elite academic experience at a university that pushes the boundaries of knowledge
We perform consistently well in ratings and rankings, so when you come to the University of Birmingham you can rest assured that you are joining a leading institution with proven credentials.
You’ll be part of a diverse community located in an inspirational campus setting, with access to the most vibrant multicultural city in the UK on your doorstep. We’re constantly expanding and improving our campus, with our most recent investments being in the planned building of a brand new multi-million pound sports centre, a redeveloped library with a cultural hub and a brand new student hub housed in the iconic Aston Webb building.
Some of our rankings include:
- Awarded University of the Year for Graduate Employment in The Times and Sunday Times University Guide 2015-16.
- Awarded University of the Year in The Sunday Times University Guide 2013-14 and ranked at 13th overall in the UK, a rise of 12 places
- Significantly improved our performance in all areas of the 2012 National Student Survey, achieving our highest-ever scores in 19 out of 22 questions
- We are ranked 13th in the UK in the Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey
- Ranked 9th out of the 24 Russell Group universities, with a score of 88% in the ‘overall satisfaction’ category (3% higher than the sector average). Our overall score on ‘teaching’ places us joint fourth within the Russell Group
- The recent Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) results show that 87% of the University’s research has global impact.
- Rated 12th overall out of 159 institutions in the Research Fortnight Power Rankings with top five rankings for our research in primary care, cancer studies, psychology, sport and exercise sciences, music, European studies and physics.
- Our 250-acre campus was recently listed in the top 10 most beautiful universities in Britain by the Telegraph.
Life-changing opportunities that prepare you for success
Your Birmingham experience will prepare you for life as an active member of a global society by transforming your prospects in a competitive employment market. From the outset we will provide opportunities for mentoring support from our outstanding graduates, career skills and development, community volunteering and leadership skills. You will graduate from Birmingham prepared for the changing economic landscape of the 21st century.
The University has been recognised for its impressive graduate employment in the Sunday Times Good University Guide. 86.5% of our students obtained graduate level work within 6 months of graduating, higher than both Oxford (80.8%) and Durham (84.5%).
To support our students in their search for employment, we have invested £5 million in our Careers Network services. This investment has included our award winning internship scheme. The scheme provides short term internships for our students across the globe. We have also been ranked 55th in the world in the International Herald Tribune Global Employability Rankings, placing us at 9th in the UK for universities most frequently selected by global employers.
An outstanding learning environment in a global city
You will be part of a diverse community located in an inspirational campus setting, with access to the most vibrant multicultural city in the UK on your doorstep. You will relish your time at Birmingham, and the friendships you will make and the experience you share will shape your future.
The University's 250 acre campus was recently listed in the top ten most beautiful universities in Britain by The Telegraph. It is a campus that is expanding and improving all the time with our most recent investments being in the planned building of a brand new multi-million pound sports centre, a redeveloped library with a cultural hub and a brand new student hub housed in the iconic Aston Webb building.
Find out more about Birmingham.