At Birmingham, our aim is to make sure that success in your degree or postgraduate studies leads you onto a fulfilling career. Whatever you plan to do after completing your studies, our Careers Network offers a range of schemes and services that will help you to identify your options, develop your opportunities and work towards your career goals from the day you arrive at Birmingham.
Providing careers guidance
Careers Network is our unique careers guidance service tailored to your academic subject area, offering a team of specialist careers advisors in each of the five colleges who can you give you expert, specialist advice for your chosen career.
Careers Network offers the following opportunities to improve your employability when you leave the University:
- Tailored events for your subject area, involving industry-specific employers and alumni in conjunction with larger, global organisations. College careers teams’ strong links to professional bodies also mean you’ll have the best, most up-to-date advice on how to enter your chosen sector.
- International Students Careers Advisor, who develops specialist resources and support for our international student community. We use our networks to customise your job searches to your home country and provide access to virtual recruitment fairs so you can identify suitable job roles, again in your home country.
- The chance to meet employers face-to-face at over 200 major events each year, including industry-specific careers fairs, individual employer presentations and careers talks. You can also take part in our skills series programme, giving you the opportunity to enhance your skills through workshops with key employers.
- In addition to our work with major companies, we also work closely with the public sector, charities and not-for-profit agencies, as well as having very close ties with the region and its rich community of smaller employers across the sectors. We use all of these links to help our graduates find employment and work experience.
- A range of internships that will enhance both your professional and personal skills, while giving you practical work place experience. These internships include a wide range of professions and aspirations, from travelling abroad as a global ambassador for the University to shadowing our former students in their work places.
- Help with establishing your own business, from start-up grants to networking and entrepreneurial skills, using our dedicated Entrepreneurship and Innovation Centre.
You’ll find that the support you receive from Careers Network becomes more personalised to your needs as you progress your degree and zone in on a particular pathway. This service continues even after you’ve graduated, helping to support you in finding employment or continuing your academic career as you join our extensive alumni network.