Birmingham postgraduates are highly sought after by employers and most find employment soon after gaining their degree. On average, 92% of our postgraduate students find employment within six months of leaving the University.
We want to ensure that success in your postgraduate degree leads you onto a fulfilling career. Whether you’re looking for a career as an academic, starting your own business or still unsure; our Careers Network will be able to offer you advice and guidance both during and after your degree to help you identify your career aims, contact prospective employers, and develop your skills.
Our extensive links with major employers mean that we have access to the most up-to-date information to enhance your employment prospects and offer a wide range of services that give our graduates the edge in the job market.
Thanks to our £5 million investment into the expansion of our student employability services, you will benefit from access to award-winning services and our unique Careers Network guidance service.
Birmingham postgraduates are sought after by major companies when they are looking for new employees. We consistently rank highly in national and international employability rankings, having achieved 4th in UK for employability in the Guardian University Guide 2017 and 65th in the world for employer reputation by the QS World University rankings 2017.
What can we offer you?
We offer the following opportunities to improve your employability when you leave the University:
- One-to-one career guidance from your College-specific advisers
- CV and job application advice, to help you stand out to employers
- An annual programme of careers fairs on campus for you to meet employers and find out about a range of opportunities available to you
- Employer presentations, giving you the chance to make contacts and find out more about what companies and organisations have to offer
- Careers workshops to help you with areas such as interview skills and finding work experience
- Monthly Postgraduate Careers Clubs: informal themed sessions for you to discuss your career ideas and concerns with other postgraduates
- Enterprise skills training for postgraduates
- Masters Summer Careers Series every June, offering the chance to network with employers, take skills workshops and more
- Westmere Careers workshop series for postgraduate researchers (Westmere is the base for our postgraduate researchers)
- Support and advice on setting up your own business
- Online career action planning tools and self-enrolment career development courses to use in your own time and support your career planning.
Each of our colleges also has its own careers and employability team. These teams deliver tailored programmes of careers events for you, and can provide you with advice and guidance services at locations within the colleges.