About my application

Is there a closing date for Postgraduate Applications?

There is no official closing date for most postgraduate courses. Most taught courses begin late September/early October and you will need to give yourself plenty of time to ensure that there is time to process your application before the start of the course, especially if you need to apply for visas etc. Some courses may close early depending on competition for places. PhD's in most departments may start in any month excluding July/August.

For courses where there is an official closing date or strict deadline for receiving applications, details are provided on the course finder pages. Deadlines are also advertised on the findaphd website. These courses may automatically reject late applications.

Is there an application fee for Postgraduate applications? 

Not at present.

Will you acknowledge receipt of my application?

Yes, at the point that you submit your application you will be sent an email with your personal/student id number and details of how to access the applicant portal. Please use this id number in all further correspondence with the university. There may be a delay while your records are checked against existing records. If you haven't heard from us within 48 hours then please contact Admissions at postgraduatesystem@contacts.bham.ac.uk and we will check your application. Please provide your full name and date of birth as entered on your application to help us track your application.

Can I apply for more than one course?

I'd advise you to research the course(s) you wish to apply for before you make an application. Contact the admissions office/tutor/supervisor of the course(s) you are interested in and discuss whether it is the appropriate course for you. You can make an application for more than one course but you will have to submit individual applications for each programme you apply for. The limit is 5 applications in each academic year and be careful as multiple applications can sometimes be viewed as speculative rather than serious applications.

Is it possible to start a course late?

There is usually a welcome week, which is a very important part of most courses. It is much harder to settle in if you start any later. For these reasons you will only be given permission to delay your start date by the Course Director in exceptional circumstances. You will need to write to admissions as soon as possible detailing the reasons for requesting a late start and what date you would be intending to arrive.

Can I study part time?

Many postgraduate courses offer the option to study part-time and some of our courses offer distance learning options. When you are researching the course you wish to apply for check to see if it is also offered on a part-time or distance education basis.

Overseas applicants should note that a UK study visa usually requires study on a full-time basis. Overseas students are not eligible for a visa for a non-campus based programme. Some courses in Education offer residential weekends and we issue student visitor visa letters for this. For this reason, we may still require applicants to upload a copy of their passport. Details of these weekends are sent out via the department.

I'm not sure if I will pay the Home or Overseas fee?

You can gain an indication of your fee status by checking with UKCISA*. Once you have submitted your application and there is any doubt over your fee status, we will issue you with a fee status questionnaire which will help us to establish your fee status. Please ensure that you complete each section of the questionnaire. The more information you can provide relating to your nationality and residence the better. If you think we have made a mistake in assessing your fee status then please contact us to discuss your status and we may ask you to provide us with further evidence to support your claim.

*UKCISA The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) is the UK’s national advisory body serving the interests of international students and those who work with them.

I have some questions about the content of the course? Who do I contact? 

You should contact the course admissions tutor/supervisor. Details can be found via course finder

Will I be interviewed as part of the application?

Whilst the majority of courses do not require an interview, some departments may want to meet with you before making a decision. Please contact the individual school or department for further information.

What are the contact details for the Admissions Office? 

You can email the Admissions Office at admissions@bham.ac.uk or visit our website for further details.

I am currently studying for a postgraduate degree at another university: can I transfer to Birmingham?

It may be possible to transfer to Birmingham but it will depend on whether the course you are interested in will accept transfer students. It may also depend on your circumstances. You should talk it through with staff at your current university and make contact with the Admissions Officer/Tutor at Birmingham to discuss your options.

What makes a good personal statement?

The personal statement is your chance to convince admissions tutors that you would be an excellent Birmimgham student. You should demonstrate that you have a genuine interest in your chosen subject and the motivation to succeed.

What is the difference between an academic qualification and a professional qualification?

For the purpose of filling in your application form - If you have studied and achieved a qualification at a university then it is considered to be an academic qualification. Professional qualifications are those that are studied outside of university.

I want to apply for two research projects - do I need to submit a second application for the same programme?

We can only accept one application per programme.

If you are applying for a research programme but have two distinct research proposals, we would advise you to mention this in your application and then upload your research proposals within the applicant portal after submission. Both proposals can then be considered by the department.