MBA Module (Executive/SPM/Public Service)
Dr Andrew Pressey
The purpose of this module is to provide students with a sound understanding of the main concepts and theories of marketing and the ability to apply this knowledge to practical marketing decision making. The importance of integrating marketing principles, and thereby a customer-orientated management approach, throughout an organisation is emphasised. Customer demands and expectations are increasing and it is essential that managers' marketing skills also develop so that they can effectively deal with these new challenges. The module presents key marketing principles using lectures, group work and case studies and encourages students to apply the theories discussed within the module.
By the end of the module students should be able to:
- demonstrate comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the marketing concept and its relationship to a customer focused management approach;
- critically appraise the complexity of the marketing environment;
- explain and analyse how market segmentation, targeting and positioning principles should be applied;
- demonstrate a systematic understanding of how to manage the marketing mix and how to develop marketing strategies and plans.
- 3 hour written examination (50%)
- 3,000 word assignment (50%)