School: School of Government and Society
Department: Department of Political Science and International Studies
Modular Value: 40 credits
Duration: All Year
Teaching: Two contact hours per week involving some lectures, seminars and student led sessions. Student presentations of core texts and themes will be central to both parts of the module.
Lecturer: Òscar Pardo and David Bailey
This module is aimed at introducing students to the main debates about European integration and governance.
It provides an overview of the history and current issue of integration, and introduces students to a range of integration theories and EU policies. Students should understand the significance of those theories and policies for the analysis of European integration, and their relevance in providing a perspective to evaluate current problems of European governance.
By the end of this course, students should be able:
- To understand and summarise the history of European integration process and the current features of European governance;
- To discuss current problems of European governance.
- To evaluate various aspects of selected internal and external EU policies.
- To understand, summarise and discuss theoretical approaches to the analyses of European integration and governance.
- To evaluate these approaches with regards to the methodologies they employ and their usefulness for the analysis of particular problems of European integration and governance.
- To analyse a particular problem of European integration or governance from the perspective of one or a combination of these approaches.
- To present and discuss analyses of European integration and Policy analysis with their peers.
- Term one 1 x 3000 word essay 30%
- Term two 1 x 3000 word essay 30%
- Term three 2 hour examination 40%
The optional modules listed on the website for this programme may unfortunately occasionally be subject to change. As you will appreciate key members of staff may leave the University and this necessitates a review of the modules that are offered. Where the module is no longer available we will let you know as soon as we can and help you make other choices.