European Integration Theory
School: School of Government and Society
Department: Department of Political Science and International Studies
Modular value: 20 credits
Duration: Term 2
Teaching: Two contact hours per week involving some lectures, seminars and student led sessions. Student presentations of core texts will be central to this module.
Lecturer: David Bailey
This module it provides an overview of theoretical perspectives with which to analyse current issues of integration, starting with classic integration theories, neofunctionalism and intergovernmentalism, then moving on to approaches to the analysis of European governance, and finally discussing more recent developments, focusing on critical and constructivist approaches.
The module presupposes a basic understanding of the EU institutions and the history of European integration; students without such a background are strongly advised to take Advanced Topics In European Integration.
Course Aims: By the end of this course, students should be able
- To understand, summarise and discuss theoretical approaches to the analysis of European integration and governance;
- To evaluate these approaches with regards to the methodologies they employ and their usefulness for the analysis of particular problems of European integration and governance;
- To analyse a particular problem of European integration or governance from the perspective of one or a combination of these approaches;
- To present and discuss analyses of European integration and governance with their peers.
This module can also be taken, together with Politics of the European Union, as Advanced Topics In European Integration.
- Term two 1 x 3000 word essay 60%
- Term three 2 hour examination 40%
The optional modules listed on the website for this programme may unfortunately occasionally be subject to change. As you will appreciate key members of staff may leave the University and this necessitates a review of the modules that are offered. Where the module is no longer available we will let you know as soon as we can and help you make other choices.