The Politics of the Arab-Israeli Conflict
School: School of Government and Society
Department: Department of Political Science and International Studies
Modular value: 20 credits
Duration: Term 1
Teaching: 2 hours of seminars weekly
Lecturer: Asaf Siniver
The aims of the module are:
- To familiarise students with the key issues and main developments in the politics of the Arab-Israeli conflict and the impact upon the states and people involved.
- To provide both regional and global contexts for the conflict, with comparative approaches, to make the course relevant for students who have no previous, or only elementary, knowledge of the conflict.
- To provides an introduction to the primary literature and the historiographical debate surrounding the creation of the State of Israel, the collapse and dispersal of Palestinian Arab society, and the ongoing conflict between the two peoples.
On completion of the module, students should be able to:
- Module-specific skills: Demonstrate a knowledge of key issues about the local, regional and international dimensions of the conflict with an emphasis on historical and legal analyses.
- Discipline-specific skills: Find, use and critically analyse secondary and primary data relevant to specific issue areas. Place contemporary issues in larger contexts. Deploy critical arguments in analysing issues and evaluating sources.
- Personal and key skills: Work effectively in a group and independently. Communicate effectively orally and in writing. Digest, select and organise material. Manage time and meet deadlines. Articulate and defend positions on the seminar topics. Use the internet and other IT resources competently.
- 2 x 500 word papers (30%)
- 1 x presentation (10%)
- 1 x 3000 word essay (60%)
The optional modules listed on the website for this programme may unfortunately occasionally be subject to change. As you will appreciate key members of staff may leave the University and this necessitates a review of the modules that are offered. Where the module is no longer available we will let you know as soon as we can and help you make other choices.