Politics of the European Union
School: School of Government and Society
Department: Department of Political Science and International Studies
Modular value: 20 credits
Duration: Term 1
Teaching: Two contact hours per week involving some lectures, seminars and student led sessions.
Lecturer: Oscar Pardo Sierra
The module discusses the evolvement and current problems of the EU institutions, EU policy-making and politics within the EU in general. Then it will provide a policy oriented study of the EU by analysing and evaluating selected internal and external EU policies.
By the end of this course, students should be able
- To understand and summarise the history of European integration and the current features of European governance;
- To discuss and analyze current problems of European governance;
- To evaluate various aspects of selected internal and external EU policies
This module can also be taken, together with European Integration Theory, as Advanced Topics In European Integration.
- Term one 1 x 3000 word essay 60%
- Term three two hour examination 40%
The optional modules listed on the website for this programme may unfortunately occasionally be subject to change. As you will appreciate key members of staff may leave the University and this necessitates a review of the modules that are offered. Where the module is no longer available we will let you know as soon as we can and help you make other choices.