This module is aimed at general practitioners and practice nurses working in the community required to develop competencies in the management of gynaecological disorders to an advanced level.
The module will provide accredited certification and validation of competencies including skills to enable autonomous practice in dealing with more complex problems and the ability to critically evaluate current research in the field of gynaecology.
The module will comprise:
1. Pre contact reading demonstrating how evidence based practice is implemented effectively in practice and preparation of community based cases.
2. Three days contact time involving lectures and seminars and interactive, facilitated sessions to discuss the key theoretical and clinical aspects of gynaecology management. Students will contribute to discussion, analysis and application of the theoretical perspectives that underpin practice involving critical evaluation of current research.
3. A minimum of 10 sessions within community and/or hospital based clinics to provide opportunities for experience in required practical competencies and to allow students to acquire and demonstrate skills.
4. Course work, written and practical assessment
1. Demonstrate a conceptual and systematic understanding of the theory and demonstrate ability to deal with complex issues underpinning gynaecological disease, prevention and management in the community.
2. Demonstrate knowledge of the aetiology, pathophysiology and presentation of gynaecological disorders and the diagnosis and classification of gynaecological disorders based on current information
3. Evaluate critically the management of gynaecological disease and prevention of long term complications according to current guidelines
4. Explain the roles of the multidisciplinary team in gynaecological disease care to improve health outcomes (as recommended in relevant national policy documents)
5. Manage gynaecological disorders in the community safely and effectively using the practical competencies acquired, systematically dealing with complex issues.
6. Demonstrate an understanding of the requirements of clinical governance for gynaecological conditions, their management, developing audit tools and performance indicators to ensure services are being delivered to an acceptable standard; identifying gaps in knowledge or standards and, if necessary, establishing techniques for implementing changes to practice.
7. Understand the requirements for supporting GP practices and primary care services in the management of gynaecological conditions through education.
The 10 credit module does not involve any clinical practice and is therefore available to international students unable to practice within the UK.
18-20 April 2016
- MCQ examination of 35 questions (30%)
- Referenced case study of 3000 words referenced to demonstrate evidence of research with critical analysis of the subject (70%)
- Clinical assessment in practice with benchmarking based on agreed standards within a 6 month period following the 3 day classroom session (Pass/Fail)
- Reflective learning diaries (required submission, but does not contribute to academic assessment)
All elements of the assessment must be passed to pass the module. If a student fails any assignment, re sits and passes the module result is capped at 50 for the module as a whole.
Academics involved in the delivery of this module
- Dr Jennifer Byrom
- Dr Eki Sangha
- Dr Helen Stokes-Lampard
Stand Alone Course
This module can be taken as a stand alone course if required. To apply, please contact
Amy Partleton, course administrator on 0121 414 2677, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need to print/download a flyer about this course to give to your employer, staff member, colleague or friend?
Fee if taken as a stand alone course
£500 (£200 bench fee applies; please enquire for further details)
For further information on fees please contact the Programme Administrator
Entry requirements if taken as a stand alone course
1. Health Care professional with first degree or equivalent AND
2. Practising GP or practice nurse for 3 years minimum