Project management and research governance is a compulsory module in the Clinical Health Research MRes programme and can be taken as a component of other health related courses, or as a standalone module.
The module provides an essential overview of the practical aspects involved within project management and research governance. The content of the module reflects five specific themes surrounding research governance:
- Introduction to the science and principles of research governance
- Ethics in research
- Information & documentation
- Project management, finance and intellectual property
- Health & safety and employment within research
Students will initially consider the development of knowledge in relation to cultural and ethical dimensions of research, and critically consider the theory and practice of Good Clinical Practice (GCP). They will explore the systems involved in securing ethical approval for research and the regulations arising from the Research Governance Framework (DH2005). This module will also critically review the essentials involved in effective project management including pre-project planning, developing realistic time frames and effective time management.
The module is delivered via online sessions and discussion forums. There will be opportunities for students to network face to face and online with other students to support each other learning. There will also be opportunities to interact with experienced researchers in online discussions of the modules themes.
By the end of the module you should be able to:
- Demonstrate evidential understanding of the main aspects of research governance
- Critically analyse professional, transferable and application skills necessary to carry out research in a patient centred manner attributable to Good Clinical Practice (GCP)
- Critically evaluate the project management skills required to undertake high quality research
- Be sensitive to the risk of vulnerabilities of patients and carers who maybe participating in health related research
Module Attendance Required
Distance online learning supplemented with discussion forums and individual tutorials on request.
- 3 October 2016 to 9 December 2016
- 2 November and 7 December 2016, 13:00 to 16:00 workshops (on campus)
- Essay submission: 13 January 2017 at 10:00 am
- 9 January 2017 to 24 March 2017
- 15 February and 15 March 2017, 13:00 to 16:00 workshops (on campus)
- Essay submission: 28 April 2017 at 10:00am
- 24 April 2017 to 16 June 2017
- 17 May and 14 Jun 2017, 13:00 to 16:00 workshops (on campus)
- Essay submission: 21 July 2017 at 10:00am
Academics involved in the delivery of this module
Nikolaos Efstathiou - Programme Lead Health Research (MRes) for nursing and midwifery
Telephone: +44 (0)121 415 8587
Stand Alone Course
This module can be taken as a stand alone course if required. To apply, please contact the Programme Administrator:
Tel: +44 (0)121 414 6014
Fee if taken as a stand alone course
To be confirmed
Entry requirements if taken as a stand alone course
Evidence of ability to study at M Level if undertaking the module as part of CPD stand alone option.