International students

The fees you pay depend on whether you are classed as an overseas student for fees purposes. The criteria for definition are set by the British government. In general terms, overseas fees are charged to students who do not have a 'relevant connection' with the United Kingdom and Islands.

You have a 'relevant connection' if - 

  • You have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands throughout the three-year period before 1 September, 1 January or 1 April closest to the start of the first term of your programme, and
  • You have not been resident in the UK and Islands during any part of that three-year period wholly or mainly for the purpose of full-time education and
  • You have no time limit or other restrictions on your stay in the UK

The regulations state that the University may not charge overseas fees to 'excepted students'. 'Excepted students' meet one or more of the following definitions -

  • Those who have citizenship and residence in a country within the European Union
  • Those who have not been ordinarily resident solely because they, or their spouse, or their parents, have been temporarily employed outside the UK or EU (proof of the temporary nature of this employment is required – a fixed-term contract, for example)

Asylum seekers are required to pay tuition fees at the higher overseas rate. If you obtain refugee status after the start of your course, your fee status will change to home/EU fee status, but it will not be backdated to the start of your course. Therefore, unless you have sufficient funds to finance your studies and pay tuition fees at the overseas rate, you are best advised to wait until your immigration status has been confirmed by the Home Office before commencing your course.

For further information, a brief guide is available from the UK Council for International Student Affairs website.


Fee status

If you are concerned about your fee status you can request a Fee Status Questionnaire from our Admissions Office


Telephone +44 (0)121 414 5488