Ana I. Oliveira Almeida (Portugal)
Ana completed her Bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry at the University of Aveiro. During her Bachelor’s research project, she investigated the Synthesis of Novel Benzoporphyrin derivatives with potential application in antimicrobial photodynamic therapy. She obtained her master’s degree in Organic Chemistry and Synthesis of Natural Products in the University of Aveiro. In her final year she worked as a MedChem intern in Hoffmann La-Roche in Basel, Switzerland. During that time, she completed her research final project under the supervision of Dr. Thomas J. Woltering, involving the synthesis of novel tricyclic scaffolds by [2+2]-photocycloaddition. In her spare time, Ana enjoys playing badminton and reading. Ana is now undertaking a joint PhD project between the Davies and Peacock groups in Birmingham.
Elsa Martínez Arce (Spain)
Elsa was born in Barcelona, where she completed her masters degree in the University Autonoma of Barcelona. She undertook her major research project in the Research Unit of Asymmetric Synthesis under the supervision of Prof. Antoni Riera Escale, investigating new bidentate phosphine ligands for the catalytic asymmetric Pauson-Khand reaction. In her spare time, Elsa enjoys playing volleyball and painting.
Matthew Ball (UK)
Matt completed an MChem degree at the University of Reading, and graduated at the top of the year group. His final year project, with supervisor Dr Andy Russell, involved the synthesis of substituted phenols and the analysis of their ability to undergo a meta-photocycloaddition reaction. In his spare time, Matt enjoys playing the piano, and cooking.
Laura Hamouche (France)
Laura completed her Masters degree in Organic Chemistry at the University of Maine. She undertook her final research project under the supervision of Dr. Graeme Kay, on the evaluation of the antioxidant potential of a library of cysteamine analogues, in the School of Pharmacy and Life Sciences at the Robert Gordon University (Scotland). In her spare time, Laura enjoys cooking and traveling.
Onyeka Obumselu (Nigeria)
Onyeka joined the group in April 2013. He obtained his Bachelors degree at Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka. He also completed his Masters degree in Organic Chemistry from the same university in 2010. Onyeka enjoys short races and listening to music.
Joshua Priest (UK)
Josh did his MChem at Loughborough University. His major research project, under the supervision of Dr Marc Kimber, concerned the asymmetric synthesis of γ-butyrolactones. For this work Josh was awarded 1st prize at the Midlands SCI undergraduate conference and the Loughborough MChem prize. Outside of the lab Josh plays the guitar and generally beats the rest of the group at pool.
Paige Rist (UK)
Paige completed her MChem degree at the University of Nottingham, and began taking an interest in synthetic chemistry after being awarded with the Gordan Clarke Alumni bursary, enabling her to do an 8 week research project under the supervision of Dr Ross Denton. Paige continued her masters project in this research group, exploring new reactions to install functional groups that are highly desirable in many drug molecules.
Mat completed his MSci degree at the University of Birmingham, which included a research project within the Davies group revolving around the insertion of temporary tethers into a gold catalysed cascade reaction, for which he received the Alfred Bader award. Outside of the lab, Mat enjoys travelling and being active.
Previous group members
- Dr Miguel Garzón Sanz (PhD 2016)
- Fatima Khan (MSc, 2016, with Dr Richard Grainger)
- Dr Matt Barrett (PhD 2016, with Dr Richard Grainger) - Research Scientist at ReViral
- Dr Andy Gillie (PhD 2015) - Research Scientist at Sygnature Discovery
- Dr Elli Chatzopoulou (PhD 2015) - PDRA with Prof Franziska Schönebeck (RWTH Aachen): - Research Scientist at Sygnature Discovery
- Dr Holly Adcock (PhD 2015) - Research Scientist at Sygnature Discovery
- Dr Michel Franck Boissonet (PhD 2015, with Prof James Tucker)
- Dr Tom Baker (PhD 2014)
- Dr Parmjit Heer (PhD 2014)
- Dr Alex Cremonesi (PhD 2013)
- Dr Christelle Detty-Mambo (PhD 2011)
- Dr Nicholas Martin (PhD 2010)
- Dr Raju Jannapureddy (Marie-Curie IIF) - Academic (Osmania University, India)
- Dr Fernando Sanchez-Cantalejo (Marie-Curie IEF) - Scientist (Spain)
- Dr Mickael Dos Santos (Marie-Curie IEF)
- Dr Sebastian Albrecht (2007-9) - Academic (Université de Mulhouse - École Nationale Supérieure De Chimie)
- Dr Estelle Banaszak (2006) - Academic (ESCOM, France)
- Dr Lidia Dumitrescu
- Ana Sanjuan
- Giulio Assanelli
Undergraduate project students (MSci and Erasmus)
- Catherine Povey (2016/17) - PhD (Warwick)
- Marcus Burgnon (2016/17)
- Jasper Sach (2016/17)
- Andrew Riley (2015/16)
- Mat Wakeling (2015/16) - PhD with Dr Paul Davies (Birmingham)
- Pascal Delany (2015/16) - PhD with Prof David Hodgson (Oxford)
- Josh Farndon (2014/15) - PhD with Dr John Bower (Bristol)
- Jay Wright (2014/15) - PhD with Prof Patrick Steel (Durham)
- Tzu Hui (2014/15)
- Matthew Gray (2013/14) - Research Scientist at GlaxoSmithKline
- Kim Koell-Keith (2013/14)
- Matthew Crane (2013/14)
- Graziella Dragomir (2012/13) - PhD with Dr Alan Aitken (St Andrews)
- Harry Shrives (2012/13) - PhD with Prof David Proctor (Manchester)
- Glenn Ward (2011/12)
- Bill Spencer (2011/12)
- Jon Kedge (2011/12) - PhD with Prof James Tucker (Birmingham)
- Lee Beasmore (2010/11)
- Parmjit Heer (2009/10) - PhD with Dr Paul Davies (Birmingham)
- Denise Meyer (Erasmus)
- Thomas Mietke (Erasmus)