The Sustainable Infrastructure for Resilient Urban Environments (SIRUE) project has been carried out at the University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK, and is funded by European Commission 7th Framework programme during 2012-2014.
The project aims to identify how the use of underground space and its physical infrastructure influence, interact with, and impact on sustainability, vulnerability and resilience of urban areas, both now and in the future. Sustainability, in the context of Urban Infrastructure (UI) taking into account the rights of the future generations, including important issues such as ‘quality of life’, resource efficiency, biodiversity conservation and clean environment restoration. Sustainable UI facilitates a city (or region) in achieving sustainable urban development.
The SIRUE project focuses on physical infrastructure, which is a set of physical objects, structures, and buildings interconnected functionally. Urban Physical Infrastructure (UPI) is assumed to encompass a set of man-made structures (e.g. roads, bridges, canals, tunnels, conduits, pipes and cables) that provide transport and communication links in addition to energy and matter flows.
The SIRUE has made an important impact on the co-operation in the field of UUI science in the European Research Area, most notably, facilitating discussions at Saint Petersburg Underground City Forum, which has a strong presence by the SIRUE main partners (University of Birmingham and the Russian Academy of Sciences), as well as advisers to the project from Germany, France, Switzerland and the USA. The Forum had an extensive media coverage, which helped in highlighting the UUI futures vision and disseminate SIRUE findings.
SIRUE information: downloads
SIRUE outputs: invited talks
- Bobylev N: Dialogue Forum on Land Information Systems for Smart Cities. Geospatial World Forum 05-09 May 2014, Geneve, Switzerland
- Bobylev N: Urban Underground Space and Tunnelling, 20 - 22 November 2013, Hong Kong.
- Bobylev N: United Nations Regional Consultation on the Post-2015 Development Agenda. UN Agencies and the Government of Turkey. Istanbul, Turkey, 6-8 November 2013.
- Bobylev N: 74th session of the Committee on Housing and Land Management and its Ministerial Meeting, United Nations Economic Commission for Europe, Geneva, 07 - 09 October 2013, “Addressing Urban Disaster Risk Reduction Using Smart Cities Approach”.
- Bobylev N, Jefferson I: European Parliamentary Technology Assessment (EPTA) Council Meeting and the Arctic Seminar, Kittila, September 23-24, 2013. Panel on Technology and the Environment.
- Bobylev N, Jefferson I, Braithwaite P, Hunt D, Rogers C: International Tunnelling and Underground Space Association. World Tunnel Congress. May 31-June 7, 2013, Geneva. WG 20: Urban Problems - Underground Solutions; WG 15 Environment; ITACUS general meeting.
- Bobylev N, Makana L, Zargarian R, Jefferson I: Humboldt Kolleg, 16-19 April, 2013, Saint Petersburg.
- Bobylev N: Panel on Civil Society Organizations in Research at the European Technology Assessment Conference: “Technology Assessment and Policy Areas of Great Transitions” Prague, March 13-15, 2013
- Bobylev N, Hunt D, Jefferson I, Rogers C: United Nations Economic Commission for Europe: Green Economy Seminar. “Building the cities we want”. 27 November 2012, Geneva.
- Bobylev N, Jefferson I, Hunt D, Makana L: Energy landscapes – integrating multiple criteria for planning and decision making. International Scientific Workshop at KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden August 23–24, 2012.
- Bobylev N, Jefferson I: Underground City Forum Saint Petersburg, June 27–29, 2012, Saint Petersburg.
SIRUE outputs: publications
- Bobylev N, Hunt DVL, Jefferson I, Rogers CDF, (2013) Sustainable Infrastructure for Resilient Urban Environments. In: Advances in Underground Space Development – Zhou, Cai & Sterling (eds), Copyright 2013 by The Society for Rock Mechanics & Engineering Geology (Singapore). Published by Research Publishing. pp. 906 – 917. ISBN: 978-981-07-3757-3; doi:10.3850/978-981-07-3757-3 RP-107-P219
- Bobylev, N (2013) Urban physical infrastructure adaptation to climate change. In: J.B. Saulnier and M.D. Varella (eds.), Global Change, Energy Issues and Regulation Policies, Integrated Science & Technology Program 2, DOI 10.1007/978-94-007-6661-7_4, Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht 2013, pp. 77-102.
- Bobylev N, Jefferson I (2013) Tools for Technology Assessment. Panel at the European Technology Assessment Conference: “Technology Assessment and Policy Areas of Great Transitions” Prague, March 13-15, 2013.
SIRUE ongoing work: publications in preparation
- Bobylev N, Jefferson I: Urbanisation, sprawl, compact city and a transition to a high density urban underground space use.
- Bobylev N, Sterling R, Rogers C: Urban Underground Space and Global Environmental Change.
- Bobylev N, Jefferson I, Parriux A, Rogers C: Urban Underground Space Science.
- Bobylev N, Shkaruba A: Urban Development Governance and Physical Infrastructure.
- Bobylev N, Wende W, Donchenko V: A critical review of legislative and normative frameworks of environmental assessment process related to urban physical infrastructure planning.
- Bobylev N, Jefferson I, Braithwaite P, Hunt D, Rogers C: Critical Urban Underground Infrastructure: analysis of industry sectors, networks, and factors influencing reliability, risk, vulnerability and resilience.
- Bobylev N: Current status of Urban Underground Space resources rational use awareness: a case study of the Republic of Moldova.
- Bobylev N, Rohde K: Environmentally responsible handling of excavated material during underground construction.