2015 Conference, Cologne, Germany
The EAHMH biennial conference will take place in Cologne, Germany (2-5 Sept 2015). The subject is 'Cash and Care'. The call programme can be downloaded here
For those planning trips to the EAHMH biennial conference in Cologne, please note that, besides a morning of interesting talks on Saturday, 5 Sept., the day will end with additional important conference events. The general assembly will take place at 13:45 o'clock, including the presentation of the EAHMH student prize. Afterwards, participants may wish to join other delegates for a boat trip along the Rhine or a visit to the exhibition on Medicine in the Roman Empire in the Romano-Germanic Museum.
There is also the possibility of delegates organising a final dinner together. Interested participants should therefore not plan to leave Cologne before Sunday, 6 Sept.
|*Important registration information*
|Due to problems reported by some of our colleagues who attempted to pay with money transfers, and because credit card payment unfortunately is not possible this year, the EAHMH Steering Committee has decided to extend the early bird rate for the conference fees until August 1st.
You can find the registration form here: http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/Documents/college-mds/centres/EAHMH/Conferences/Registration-form-EAHMH-bank-details.pdf
Please send it to the organisers per email or regular mail.
The account number is: DE04 3702 0500 0008 150000 (the IBAN)
The name of the account holder is Klinikum der Universitaet zu Koeln
The address of the Klinikum der Universitaet zu Koeln is
Kerpener Str. 62
The name of the bank is: "Bank für Sozialwirtschaft"
The address of the bank is:
Bank für Sozialwirtschaft
The bank's code is: BFSWDE33 (BIC)
Please do not forget to give as reference your name and the number 3610 0591 31
Please consider staying until Sunday. There is much to do in Cologne besides the EAHMH Conference 2015. The conference is about "Cash and Care in the History of Medicine" and the topic has links with the "Holy Cologne" which is a cathedral and museums exhibition. Find out more...
We have organized a guided tour and evening boat trip on Saturday evening as a conference farewell. There are 50 places available. If you want to join the tour, the boat trip and the farewell send a note to email@example.com and we will reserve a seat for you. Costs to be paid in cash on registration in Cologne are 17 Euros.
Dear colleagues, the EAHMH is asking for nominations for the Van Foreest Prize to be awarded during the EAHMH-Conference 2-5 September 2015 in Cologne. The prize is awarded to PHD students presenting papers during the conference. Self nominations are possible, please send nominations for the prize to the organizing committee (firstname.lastname@example.org). Besides the honour the prize includes 500 EUR (generously supported by the Dutch foundation Stichting Historia Medicinae).
Other Future Conferences
- The Australian and New Zealand Society of the History of Medicine will hold its
14th Biennial Conference in Sydney from Tuesday 30th
June to Friday 3rd July 2015, with an additional tour day on
Saturday 4th July. The venue for the conference is The Australian Catholic
University campus in North Sydney and the theme is Missions, Methods and
Management. Further information can be found on the conference website: http://www.dcconferences.com.au/hom2015/home
- Call for Papers: Postgraduate Medical Humanities Conference 2015, University of Exeter, 20-21 July 2015. More information can be found on the University of Exeter conference page
- The Making of Health - International Conference of the Historical Demography Society. Paris, 10-11 September 2015. Call for Papers. Please, send your abstract (max. 500 words, summarizing the contents of the paper, sources and methodology) and a short bio-bibliography, before 1st December 2014 to email@example.com. Further information can be found here
- Bodies Beyond Borders: The Circulation of Anatomical Knowledge, 7-9 January 2015.
In January 2015, the Research Group, Cultural History since 1750, will organize a conference on the circulation of anatomical knowledge: Bodies Beyond Borders. More information and a full programme can be found on the Ku Leuven website: http://www.arts.kuleuven.be/cultuurgeschiedenis/bodies-beyond-borders
- 2014 Conference, Kingston University, London Nursing History: a work in progress, 9 July 2014 For further details, please download the Call for Papers
- 2014 Conference, Sydney, Australia Quarantine: History, Heritage, Place, 14-16 August 2014. For further details, please download the Call for Papers
- Risk and Disaster in Medicine and Health, Lisbon, Portugal, 2013.
All smiles from the deck of our conference yacht; (from left to right), John Harley Warner (Yale), Arlene Keeling (Virginia), conference keynote Barbra Mann Wall (Penn) and Jonathan Reinarz (Birmingham; Secretary EAHMH).
Lisbon Conference host, Professor Laurinda Abreu, on yet another legendary EAHMH boat trip. Picture by J. Reinarz
- The UK History of Nursing Colloquium, The History of Colonial and Post-Colonial Nursing, Oxford, UK, 4 July 2013. For further details please download the Call for Papers
- Therapy and Empowerment - Coercion and Punishment: Historical Perspectives on Work and Occupational Therapy, Oxford, 26-27 June 2013. For further details please download the Call for Papers.
- Body and Mind in the History of Medicine and Health, Utrecht 2011
Thank you to everyone who attended the EAHMH conference in Utrecht. You can read more about the conference here. Pictures from the conference can be found hereand pictures from the Boerhaave performance can be viewed here.
- Risk and Disaster in Medicine and Health (Lisbon, Portugal)
- Global Developments and Local Specificities in the History of Medicine and Health, (Heidelberg/Germany, 2009)
- Environment, Health and History, (London/UK, 2007)
- Cultural History of Health and Beyond, (Paris/France, 2005)
- Health Between the Private and the Public: Shifting Approaches, (Oslo/Norway, 2003)
- Health and the Child: Care and Culture in History, (Geneva/Switzerland, 2001)
- The Healthy Life: People, Perceptions, Politics (joint conference of the EAHMH and the International Network for the History of Public Health)
- Coping with Medicine, Law and Human Rights - Historical Perspectives,(Castelvecchio/Italy, 1997)
- Coping with Sickness: Perspectives on Health and Health Care, Past and Present,(San Feliu/Spain, 1995)
- Coping with Sickness: Science, Culture, Professions, (Lunteren/Netherlands, 1993)