Research into obesity undertaken at the University of Birmingham is of the highest international quality, with departments undertaking obesity and metabolic research achieving the highest possible ratings in the last Research Assessment Exercise (RAE).
In conjunction with the development executive and alumni relations office the research group has bold ambitions. Through a programme of generous alumni donations, we aim to become a leading international centre of excellence in metabolic medicine and obesity research.
The main objectives of the group are:
- The identification of novel treatment targets
- Understanding the molecular mechanisms that contribute to obesity and its complications in adults and children in differing ethnic groups
- Implementation of motivational strategies for a healthier lifestyle
- Instigating effective exercise interventions across all ages, in all communities
- Understanding the socio-cultural determinants of obesity and its complications and designing effective community-based interventions
- Assessment and validation of local and governmental health initiative strategies