Please see the lists of trials that are currently being undertaken (these may be recruiting or in their follow up stage) at the BCTU. Please follow the links below for more information about our trials:
- ACCURE-UK: The feasibility of undertaking Appendicectomy to impact upon the Clinical Course of UlceRativE colitis
- CReST: The role of endoluminal stenting in the acute management of obstructing colorectal cancer
- DREAMS: Deaxamethasone Reduces Emesis After Major gastrointestinal Surgery
- ElaTION: The Efficacy and Cost effectiveness of Real Time Ultrasound Elastography in The Investigation Of Thyroid Nodules and the diagnosis of thyroid cancer
- ENDCaP-C: Enhanced Neoplasia Detection and Cancer Prevention in Chronic Colitis
- FIAT: The Fistula-In-Ano Trial comparing Surgisis® anal fistula plug versus surgeon’s preference for transsphincteric fistula-in-ano
- FOxTROT: Fluoropyrimidine, OXaliplatin and Targeted-Receptor pre-Operative Therapy for patients with high-risk, operable colon cancer
- PROSPER: PROlapse Surgery: PErineal or Rectopexy
- ROCSS: Reinforcement of Closure of Stoma Site. A randomised controlled trial of reinforcement of closure of stoma site using a biological mesh.
- TREC: Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery (TEM) and Radiotheraphy in Early Rectal Cancer
- IIH:DT: A placebo controlled double blind randomised trial of AZD4017 for the treatment of Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension.
- IIH:WT: A randomised controlled trial of bariatric surgery versus a community weight loss programme for the sustained treatment of Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension.
- PD COMM Pilot: A pilot to evaluate the feasibility of a full scale trial on the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of speech and language therapy for people with Parkinson's.
- PD GEN: A Parkinson's disease DNA Bank.
- PD MED: A large randomised assessment of the relative clinical- and cost-effectiveness of classes of drugs for Parkinson's disease.
- PD REHAB: A randomised controlled trial to assess the clinical- and cost-effectiveness of Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy in Parkinson's disease.
- PD SURG: A large randomised assessment of the relative clinical- and cost-effectiveness of surgery for Parkinson's disease.
- ASTRAL: Angioplasty and STent for Renal Arterial Lesions
- eGFR-C: Accuracy of glomerular filtration rate (GFR) estimation using creatinine and cystatin C and albuminuria for monitoring disease progression in patients with stage 3 chronic kidney disease: prospective longitudinal study in a multi-ethnic population.
- PEXIVAS: An international randomised controlled trial of plasma exchange and glucocorticoid dosing in the treatment of anti-neutrophil cytoplasm antibody associated vasculitis
- PREDNOS: Long-term tapering versus standard prednisolone (steroid) therapy for the treatment of the initial episode of childhood nephrotic syndrome: a national multicentre randomised double blind trial
- PREDNOS 2: Short course daily prednisolone therapy at the time of upper respiratory tract infection in children with relapsing steroid sensitive nephrotic syndrome; the PREDNOS 2 study
- STOP-ACEi: A multi-centre randomised controlled trial of Angiotensin Converting Enzyme inhibitor (ACEi) / Angiotensin Receptor Blocker (ARB) withdrawal in advanced renal disease
- BUS: Accuracy of Bladder Ultrasound (BUS) in the diagnosis of Detrusor Overactivity (DO): a study to evaluate if ultrasound can reduce the need for urodynamics
- C-STICH: Cerclage suture type for an Insufficient cervix and its effect on health outcomes trial: a randomised controlled trial of monofilament versus braided sutures for insufficient cervix
- ECLIPSE:Effectiveness and Cost-effectiveness of Levonorgestrel containing Intrauterine system in Primary care against Standard trEatment for menorrhagia
- FEMME: An NIHR funded clinical trial designed to measure the changes in the quality of life women experience when their fibroids are treated by either myomectomy or uterine artery embolisation
- GAPP2: A multi-centre, double-blind randomised controlled trial of the efficacy and mechanism of action of gabapentin for the management of chronic pelvic pain in women
- GBS2: Accuracy of a rapid intrapartum test for maternal group B streptococcal colonisation and its potential to reduce antibiotic usage in mothers with risk factors
- LOTUS: Local Oestrogen Treatment in Postmenopausal Women Undergoing Pelvic Organ Prolapse Surgery (LOTUS): A Feasibility Study
- MEDAL: A diagnostic accuracy study investigating whether MRI scans can replace or triage the use of laparoscopy in establishing a diagnosis amongst women presenting in secondary care with chronic pelvic pain
- OPT: A randomised controlled trial of Outpatient Polyp Treatment (OPT) for abnormal uterine bleeding
- PLUTO: Percutaneous Shunting in Lower Urinary Tract Obstruction
- Pre-empt:Preventing Recurrence of Endometriosis by Means of long acting Progestogen Therapy
- PRISM: The effectiveness of progesterone to prevent miscarriage in women with early pregnancy bleeding: a randomised placebo controlled trial
- RESPITE: A Randomised Controlled Trial of Remifentanil intravenous patient controlled analgesia (PCA) versus intramuscular pethidine for pain relief in labour
- StAmP: A proof of principle, double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled, multi-centre trial of pravaStatin to Ameliorate early onset Pre-eclampsia
- TABLET: Randomised controlled trial of the efficacy and mechanism of levothyroxine treatment on pregnancy and neonatal outcomes in women with thyroid antibodies
- UCON: Ulipristal acetate versus conventional management of heavy menstrual bleeding (HMB; including uterine fibroids): a randomised controlled trial and exploration of mechanism of action
Portfolio V (Developing Theme; cardio, vascular, trauma)
- BASIL-2: The Bypass versus Angioplasty in Severe Ischaemia of the Leg-2 Trial
- BASIL-3: Balloon vs Stenting in Severe Ischemia of the Leg-3 Trial
- PEGASUS: A feasibility and open pilot two-arm randomised controlled trial comparing Pressure Garment Therapy with No Pressure Garment Therapy for the prevention of abnormal Scarring after burn injury
- RePHILL: Resuscitation with pre-hospital blood products. A multi-centre randomised controlled trial of pre-hospital blood product administration versus standard care for traumatic haemorrhage
- SPIRO-CKD: A randomised, multicentre, open-label, blinded endpoint trial to compare the effects of Spironolactone to Chlortalidone on left ventricular mass and arterial stiffness in stage 2 and stage 3 chronic kidney disease
- AML 16: National Cancer Research Institute Acute Myeloid Leukaemia and High Risk MDS: a trial programme for treatment development for older patients with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia and High Risk Myelodysplastic Syndrome.
- ROCkeTS: Refining Ovarian Cancer Test Accuracy Scores: A test accuracy study to validate new risk scores in women with symptoms of suspected ovarian cancer.