Our research interest centres around type 1 diabetes, both in a clinical and basic science setting. In particular, we are interested in exploring how factors associated with insulin resistance and obesity could prevent or delay the development of type 1 diabetes.
We are also interested in developing access to clinical diabetes research for patients around the West Midlands. I support this through undertaking the following roles:
- Increasing physical exercise to preserve beta cell function in patients with type 1 diabetes: ExTOD
Funded by the NIHR
- Examining T cell migration across inflamed endothelium in type 1 diabetes
Funded by the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Chronic disease research into diabetes
Funded by the CLRN and Novo Nordisk
- How does exercise affect alpha cell function in type 1 diabetes?
Funded by UHB Charities
- Ex-Edu-Care: Exercise education and care for people with type 1 diabetes
Funded by The Insulin Dependent Diabetes Trust
- How does adiponectin influence the recruitment of autoreactive T cells to the inflamed pancreatic islet in type 1 diabetes?
Funded by The Wellcome Trust ISSF
Current projects on which I am collaborating:
Dr Parth Narendran - School of Clinical and Experimental Medicine
Dr Sahithi Kuravi - School of Clinical and Experimental Medicine
Dr Amy Kennedy - PhD Student
Dr David Hughes - MD Student