The CHART materials characterisation facility offers access to equipment and longer term collaborative solutions to both commercial businesses and research and development organisations. Our aim is to assist with production, development and materials related challenges within the West Midlands manufacturing community.
CHART, through investment by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), has further developed the University of Birmingham’s Electron Microscope (EM) centre, with specifically selected equipment and a comprehensive range of complementary techniques for materials characterisation. Please see our equipment page for more details of what is available.
CHART offers non-destructive and destructive, macro scale 3D analysis through to nano scale chemical composition, providing a complete, client centred, cutting edge, material characterisation service.
We have a designated business team who will manage your enquiry and assist in partnering you with a specialist academic or technical expert to help you with your requirements. Please complete our expression of interest form and a member of the team will be in touch.
If you have been involved with the CHART project we would love your feedback on your experience! Please complete our short survey here.
Typical applications for industrial purposes:
· Fracture analysis
· High resolution characterisation of alloy joints and welds
· High resolution chemical analysis of advanced structural components
· Particle size and chemical composition analysis
· Surface engineering and analysis
· Characterisation of nano structures
· Imaging and chemical analysis of nano particles
· Fault detection and failure analysis
· Assembly inspection of complex mechanisms
· Dimensional measurement of internal components
· Digital archiving of models
Interested in finding out more? Think your business could benefit from our services? Our open days run most months and are designed to give you an overview of the capabilities of the project. Check out our eventbrite page for the next available dates and to book your place.