Professor Alessandra Guariglia, Head of Department - The Department of Economics is committed to research and teaching excellence. Its faculty focuses on experimental, financial, international, environmental, as well as other branches of economics. Most of the courses offered are research-led, and all of them offer a high level of employability and opportunities.”
Explore and understand the economic issues affecting political and current affairs.
Taught and research degrees to provide academic excellence and vocational relevance.
A PhD Programme fully accredited by the Economic and Social Research Council.
- Degree programmes and courses
We offer a number of degree programmes at undergraduate and postgraduate level, as well as an active PhD programme fully accredited by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC).
- Top ranked Economics BSc programme
BSc Economics at Birmingham is consistently highly ranked, which means that your degree will be well regarded within the global employment market and your portfolio and career prospects will be given a boost.
- Highly ranked for research intensity
We were placed 6th in the REF 2014 subject ranking with 90% of academic colleagues submitting research for review. This demonstrates that we are commited to the highest standard of quality and impact in our research.
- Birmingham Experimental Economics Laboratory
Conducting research into how people make their decisions to help better understand market choice and behaviour and how this impacts society; find out more.
- Research clusters
Research in the department is organised into a number of research groups including: Experimental Economics, Microeconomic Theory and Applications and Trade, Environment, Development and Energy (TEDE)
Nobel Prize winner Professor Al Roth visited the University of Birmingham to give a guest lecture (left) and Tongzhou Lei discussed studying Money Banking and Finance BSc at Birmingham Business School.
- The third annual Capgemini Community Challenge was held, which sees University of Birmingham students working in consultancy teams to provide solutions for third sector clients.
- Tuesday 24th June 2014
- The University of Birmingham Careers Network at has been recognised for its excellence in providing careers support for international students.
- Friday 20th June 2014
- Birmingham Business School shows improved rankings within The Complete University Guide 2015.
- Thursday 29th May 2014
View more Economics news