Everyday Creativity and Communication
- Alan Walters Building
How can companies use metaphor to make their advertising more effective? Why does an advert go viral? How does language shape thought? Can creative thinking get you out of a communication crisis? If you like to think outside the box, come join us in this interactive one-day workshop to explore this and other issues with academics and professionals. Breakfast, lunch & refreshments provided and pizza party at the end of the day!
Programme for the day
07:30 - 09:30: Rise and shine
Business-relevant presentations plus networking time for companies and academics. Breakfast & refreshments included!
10:00 - 13:00: How does creativity work?
A series of interactive discussions with academics working on creativity in different forms of communication.
- J Littlemore & P Sobrino (University of Birmingham): Figurative Language in a Global Market
- M Bolognessi (Metaphor Lab) : Advertising non-tangible products using visual metaphors
- Christian Burgers (VU Amsterdam): Creativity in Figurative Frames
- Matteo Fuoli (University of Birmingham): Trust management strategies in business discourse
14:00 - 16:30: All hands on deck!
Choose one of the three hands-on workshops in each session to explore how creativity works.
- J Littlemore & P Sobrino (University of Birmingham): Advertising around the world
- D Houghton (University of Birmingham): Advertising efficacy, word-of-mouth and viral marketing
- M Bolognessi (Metaphor Lab) : Metaphorical brains at play
- B Winter & P Sobrino (University of Birmingham): Tasting with your ears: sound symbolism in advertising
- Christian Burgers (VU Amsterdam): How creative is your metaphorical thinking?
- Matteo Fuoli (University of Birmingham): Testing the persuasiveness of business communication
Register here for this event.