Dr Alexiadis is Lecturer in Chemical Engineering at the University of Birmingham. He has published over 30 research papers in international journals, the majority of which as first or only author. His career has a strong international dimension. He has worked in 11 institutions, 8 countries and 4 continents. He still collaborates with many of his previous colleagues.
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, 2002
- BSc in Chemical Engineering, 1998
Dr. Alessio Alexiadis graduated in chemical engineering in 1998 in Italy at the Politecnico di Torino. Three years later, he accomplished his Ph.D. in the same institution with a thesis on photocatalytic reactors. Since then, he has held various research academic positions in France at ARMINES École Nationale Supérieure des Mines de Paris (2001−2003), in Germany at Max-Planck-Institut für Kohlenforschung (2003−2004), in Australia at the UNESCO Centre for Membrane Science & Technology, University of New South Wales, Sydney (2004−2006) and Cyprus, at the Computational Sciences Laboratory at the University of Cyprus (2006-2008).
In 2008 Alessio was awarded the Outgoing International Fellowship by the European Commission within the Marie Curie programme (FP6). He moved to the United States at the Washington University in St. Louis for the outgoing phase of the fellowship (2008-2010) and to Sweden at the Royal Institute of Technology for the returning phase (2010-2011). After that, he accepted a research position at the University of Warwick (2012-2013) and, finally, joined the University of Birmingham in September 2013.
- MCT – Modelling Concepts and Tools
Dr. Alexiadis current research activity concerns multi-scale and hybrid modelling. He has recently proposed the so-called Hybrid Taxonomy, which is a general framework for linking models of different types within a common hybrid model.
He is also working on a specific hybrid between Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics (SPH) and Coarse-Grained Molecular Dynamics (CGMD) for the simulation of complex flows (e.g. blood). His past activities include photocatalysis, computational fluid dynamics, bubbly flows, multiphase reactors, polymer dynamics, membrane science, global warming modelling, electrochemistry, micro- and nano-fluidics and both classical and ab initio molecular dynamics.
- Alexiadis A. (2014), A SPH-CGMD hybrid technique for modelling deformation and breakage of capsules, vesicles and cells under various flow conditions, Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering (submitted)
- Alexiadis A., Lockerby D.A., Borg M.K. and Reese J.M. (2014), A particle-continuum hybrid framework for transport phenomena and chemical reactions in multi-component systems at the micro and nano-scale, Journal of Heat Transfer (submitted)
- Alexiadis A., Lockerby D.A., Borg M.K. and Reese J.M. (2014), The atomistic-continuum hybrid taxonomy and the hybrid-hybrid approach, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering (accepted)
- Alexiadis A., Lockerby D.A., Borg M.K. and Reese J.M. (2013), A Laplacian-based algorithm for non-isothermal atomistic-continuum hybrid simulation of micro and nano-flows, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 264:81-94
- Alexiadis A., Dudukovic M.P., Ramachandran P., Cornell A., Wanngård J. and Bokkers A. (2012), Transition to Pseudo-Turbulence in a Narrow Gas-Evolving Channel, Theoretical and Computational Fluid Dynamics, 26:551-564
- Alexiadis A., Dudukovic M.P., Ramachandran P., Cornell A. (2012), On the stability of the flow in multichannel electrochemical systems, Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, 42:679-687
- Alexiadis A., Cornell A. and Dudukovic M. P. (2012), Comparisons between CFD calculations of the flow in a rotating disk cell and the Cochran/Levich equations, Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, 669:55-66
- Alexiadis A., Dudukovic M.P., Ramachandran P., Cornell A., Wanngård J. and Bokkers A. (2012), The Flow Pattern in Single and Multiple Channels with Gas Evolution at the Electrodes, International Journal of Chemical Engineering, art. no. 392613
- Alexiadis A., Dudukovic M.P., Ramachandran P., Cornell A., Wanngård J. and Bokkers A. (2011), On the electrode boundary conditions in the simulation of two phase flow in electrochemical cells, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 36:8557-8559
- Alexiadis A., Dudukovic M.P., Ramachandran P., Cornell A., Wanngård J. and Bokkers A. (2011), Liquid –gas flow patterns in a narrow electro-chemical channel, Chemical Engineering Science, 66:2252–2260
- Alexiadis A. and Kassinos S. (2010), On the use of the BLYP functional for the DFT calculation of graphite-hydrogen systems, Journal of Nuclear Materials, 396:307-308
- Yee K. W. K., Alexiadis A., Bao J. and Wiley D. E. (2009), Effects of recycle ratios on process dynamics and operability of a whey ultra-filtration stage, Desalination, 236:216-223
- Alexiadis A. and Kassinos S. (2008), Molecular Dynamics of Water in Carbon Nanotubes, Chemical Reviews, 108:5014–5034
- Alexiadis A. and Kassinos S. (2008), Molecular dynamic simulations of carbon nanotubes in CO2 atmosphere, Chemical Physics Letters, 460:512-516
- Yee K. W. K., Alexiadis A., Bao J. and Wiley D. E. (2008), Effects of multiple-stage membrane process designs on the achievable performance of automatic control, Journal of Membrane Science, 320:280-291
- Alexiadis A. and Kassinos S. (2008), Self-Diffusivity, Hydrogen Bonding and Density of different Water Models in Carbon Nanotubes, Molecular Simulation, 34:671-676
- Alexiadis A. and Kassinos S. (2008), Influence of Water Model and Nanotube Rigidity on the Density of Water in Carbon Nanotubes, Chemical Engineering Science, 63:2093-2097
- Alexiadis A. and Kassinos S. (2008), The Density of Water in Carbon Nanotubes, Chemical Engineering Science, 63:2047-2056
- Alexiadis A. and Andes C. (2008), Revised Particle Growth Model for Supported Metallocene Catalyst Co-Polymerization, Applied Mathematical Modelling, 32:99-111
- Alexiadis A., Wiley D. E., Fletcher D. F. and Bao J. (2007), Transition between laminar flow-regimes in a 2D channel with circular spacers, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 46:5387-5396
- Alexiadis A., Wiley D. E., Vishnoi A., Lee R. H. K., Fletcher D. F. and Bao J. (2007), CFD Modelling of Reverse Osmosis Membrane Flow and Validation with Experimental Results, Desalination, 217:242-250
- Alexiadis A., Gardin P. and Domgin J. F. (2007), Probabilistic Approach for Break-up and Coalescence in Bubbly-Flow and Coupling with CFD Codes, Applied Mathematical Modelling, 31:2051-2061
- Alexiadis A. (2007), Bubble Dispersion Patterns in Bubbly-Flow released from a Porous Plug into a Gas-Stirred Ladle, Applied Mathematical Modelling, 31:1534-1547
- Alexiadis A. (2007), Global warming and human activity: A model for studying the potential instability of the carbon dioxide/temperature feedback mechanism, Ecological Modelling, 203:243-256
- Alexiadis A. (2006), 2-D Radiation field in photocatalytic channels of square, rectangular, equilateral triangular and isosceles triangular sections, Chemical Engineering Science, 61:516-525
- Alexiadis A., Bao J., Fletcher D. F., Wiley D. E. and Clements D. J. (2006), Dynamic Response of a Reverse Osmosis High-Pressure Membrane to Time Dependent Disturbances, Desalination, 191:397-403
- Alexiadis A., Bao J., Fletcher D. F., Wiley D. E. and Clements D. J. (2005), Analysis of the Dynamic Response of a Reverse Osmosis Membrane to Time Dependent Transmembrane Pressure Variation, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 20:7823-7834
- Alexiadis A. and Mazzarino I. (2005), Design Guidelines for Fixed Bed Photocatalytic Reactors, Chemical Engineering and Processing, 44:453-459
- Alexiadis A., Gardin P. and Domgin J. F. (2004), Spot turbulence, Break-up and Coalescence of Bubbles released from a Porous Plug Injector into a Gas-Stirred Ladle, Metallurgical and Materials Transaction B, 35B:949-956
- Alexiadis A., Andes C., Ferrari D., Korber K., Hauschild K., Bochmann M. and Fink G. (2004), Mathematical Modelling of Homo-Polymerization on Supported Metallocene Catalyst, Macromolecular Materials and Engineering, 289:457-466
- Alexiadis A., Vanni M. and Gardin P. (2004), Extension of the Method of Moments for Population Balances Involving Fractional Moments and Application to a Typical Agglomeration Case, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 276:106-112
- Raupp G. B., Alexiadis A., Moazzem Hossain M. M. and Changrani R. (2001), First-principles modeling, scaling laws and design of structured photocatalytic oxidation reactors for air purification, Catalysis Today, 69:41-49
- Alexiadis A., Baldi G. and Mazzarino I.(2001), Modelling of a photocatalytic reactor with a fixed bed of supported catalyst, Catalysis Today, 66:467-474