Welcome to your Chemistry Community: a network for alumni, students, faculty and friends from the School of Chemistry and part of the College of Engineering and Physical Sciences Community.
Whether a student, recent graduate or seasoned alumnus, let us know where you are and what you are doing.
EPS Alumni Office
College of Engineering and
University of Birmingham
Connect with us today to keep up to date with the latest news, find old friends or join us at one of our events.
You are welcome to attend our seminars that take place regularly during term time. Keep an eye on our events page for details of forthcoming talks.
- The Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) Society are the newest student group to join the EPS Community. They work to provide as many events and opportunities as possible to members across the College of Engineering and Physical Sciences to integrate, form networks and to help inspire the next generation of female scientists and engineers. Annabel Fitzgerald tells us more.
- This year has been a busy one for ChemSoc! Conaill Perry and Simon Johnson, ChemSoc Committee Chair and Vice-Chair, tell us more.
- Scientists and engineers have looked to nature for their inspiration for centuries. The field of biomimetics uses ideas from nature to solve complex human challenges. Synthetic biology, a more recent concept, focuses on the design of artificial devices or systems with biological or "bio-like" functions. This covers a wide range of applications – but perhaps the most fascinating biological "device" we could wish to emulate is the protein.
There are many ways you can get involved in the School, your relationship with us doesn't end with graduation.
- Samantha Brown
- Marketing Manager, InnospecBSc Chemistry (1997), PhD Synthetic Organic Chemistry (2001)
- Barry Hill
- Director, Micro Research Limited, PhD Chemistry (1983)
- John Guy
- Education Consultant and Senior Advisor, University of Cambridge International Examinations, BSc (Class I) 1971, Chemistry ; PhD 1974 (Chemistry)
- Alan Barber
- Former Category Issues Manager, Unilever, PhD Chemistry (1976), BSc Chemistry (1972)