Welcome to your Chemistry Community: a network for alumni, students, faculty and friends from the School of Chemistry and part of the College of Engineering and Physical Sciences Community.
Whether a student, recent graduate or seasoned alumnus, let us know where you are and what you are doing.
EPS Alumni Office
College of Engineering and
University of Birmingham
Connect with us today to keep up to date with the latest news, find old friends or join us at one of our events.
You are welcome to attend our seminars that take place regularly during term time. Keep an eye on our events page for details of forthcoming talks.
- Professor Nigel Simpkins, the University of Birmingham's Haworth Chair of Chemistry, has had a paper published in the Royal Society of Chemistry journal Chemical Science, entitled 'Highly enantioselective access to diketopiperazines via cinchona alkaloid catalysed Michael additions'. The paper, co-authored with Alejandro Cabanillas, Christopher D Davies and Louise Male, is the result of a collaborative PhD studentship with AstraZeneca, which is continuing the collaboration with both a new studentship and a postdoctoral researcher who will work at the AstraZeneca site near Manchester.
- Early diagnosis and effective drug delivery is often the key to successfully treating potentially life-threatening diseases. Professor Zoe Pikramenou's pioneering research is leading on the design of molecules and nanosized labels which can track and direct biomolecular processes, which could have huge impact on the diagnosis and treatment of serious illness.
- The University's 300,000th student will graduate this summer and join our alumni community. To celebrate this occasion we asked staff and students for nominations for our 300,000th alumni and our Top 12 Alumni to watch. Final year Chemistry student Carly Thomas is one of those and we will be following her journey through her final months as a student and into graduate life.
There are many ways you can get involved in the School, your relationship with us doesn't end with graduation.
- Samantha Brown
- Marketing Manager, InnospecBSc Chemistry (1997), PhD Synthetic Organic Chemistry (2001)
- Barry Hill
- Director, Micro Research Limited, PhD Chemistry (1983)
- John Guy
- Education Consultant and Senior Advisor, University of Cambridge International Examinations, BSc (Class I) 1971, Chemistry ; PhD 1974 (Chemistry)
- Alan Barber
- Former Category Issues Manager, Unilever, PhD Chemistry (1976), BSc Chemistry (1972)