Welcome to your Chemistry Community: a network for alumni, students, faculty and friends from the School of Chemistry and part of the College of Engineering and Physical Sciences Community.
Whether a student, recent graduate or seasoned alumnus, let us know where you are and what you are doing.
EPS Alumni Office
College of Engineering and
University of Birmingham
Connect with us today to keep up to date with the latest news, find old friends or join us at one of our events.
You are welcome to attend our seminars that take place regularly during term time. Keep an eye on our events page for details of forthcoming talks.
- This year has been a busy one for ChemSoc! Conaill Perry and Simon Johnson, ChemSoc Committee Chair and Vice-Chair, tell us more.
- Scientists and engineers have looked to nature for their inspiration for centuries. The field of biomimetics uses ideas from nature to solve complex human challenges. Synthetic biology, a more recent concept, focuses on the design of artificial devices or systems with biological or "bio-like" functions. This covers a wide range of applications – but perhaps the most fascinating biological "device" we could wish to emulate is the protein.
- Biomass, particularly agricultural, industrial and food waste, is an attractive resource as it is often of zero or even negative value to the producer. For a materials chemist, it is a treasure trove of complex biological chemicals such as cellulose and lignin. In our research, we discover ways to convert these biological materials into materials for a wide range of potential applications, such as water treatment or batteries.
There are many ways you can get involved in the School, your relationship with us doesn't end with graduation.
- Matthew Barton
- Partner, Forresters, BSc. (Hons) Chemistry with Analytical Science (1998), PhD Chemistry (2001)
- Stuart James Cantrill
- Chief Editor, Nature Chemistry at Nature Publishing Group, BSc in Chemistry and Bioorganic Chemistry, 1996, MPhil in Chemistry, 1997