Welcome to your Chemistry Community: a network for alumni, students, faculty and friends from the School of Chemistry and part of the College of Engineering and Physical Sciences Community.
Whether a student, recent graduate or seasoned alumnus, let us know where you are and what you are doing.
EPS Alumni Office
College of Engineering and
University of Birmingham
Connect with us today to keep up to date with the latest news, find old friends or join us at one of our events.
You are welcome to attend our seminars that take place regularly during term time. Keep an eye on our events page for details of forthcoming talks.
- Irresistible Materialsis a spinout company from the University of Birmingham that began operations in 2010 and aims to commercialise novel fullerene materials for applications in the semiconductor industry. It was formed by the entrepreneur and alumnus David Ure together with the three academic founders: Dr Alex Robinson, Professor Jon Preece, and Professor Richard Palmer. Dr.Robinson explains the team's research and the journey from idea to business.
- As an undergraduate chemistry student, I'm very used to people making the assumption that all I do for my degree is play around with Bunsen burners; however, this isn't quite the whole picture. Yes, in my first year at the University of Birmingham I spent countless hours in labs trying to synthesise a pure compound, or determine the density of a gaseous sample, but there's much more to the chemistry course.
- To me, I think the most noteworthy thing about my summer this year is how long it was! Having just finished my first year of University, I had never had anything like 4 months summer holiday, and after a stressful exam period, it seemed like exactly what I needed.
There are many ways you can get involved in the School, your relationship with us doesn't end with graduation.
- Barry Hill
- Director, Micro Research Limited, PhD Chemistry (1983)
- John Guy
- Education Consultant and Senior Advisor, University of Cambridge International Examinations, BSc (Class I) 1971, Chemistry ; PhD 1974 (Chemistry)
- Alan Barber
- Former Category Issues Manager, Unilever, PhD Chemistry (1976), BSc Chemistry (1972)
- Matthew Barton
- Partner, Forresters, BSc. (Hons) Chemistry with Analytical Science (1998), PhD Chemistry (2001)