Welcome to your Chemistry Community: a network for alumni, students, faculty and friends from the School of Chemistry and part of the College of Engineering and Physical Sciences Community.
Whether a student, recent graduate or seasoned alumnus, let us know where you are and what you are doing.
EPS Alumni Office
College of Engineering and
University of Birmingham
Connect with us today to keep up to date with the latest news, find old friends or join us at one of our events.
You are welcome to attend our seminars that take place regularly during term time. Keep an eye on our events page for details of forthcoming talks.
- Biomass, particularly agricultural, industrial and food waste, is an attractive resource as it is often of zero or even negative value to the producer. For a materials chemist, it is a treasure trove of complex biological chemicals such as cellulose and lignin. In our research, we discover ways to convert these biological materials into materials for a wide range of potential applications, such as water treatment or batteries.
- For all the exciting stories and developments that basic science research produces, there is one question that the public never tires of asking: "What are the possible applications of that discovery?" or "What is the value of your research?"
- From the enticing aroma of the turkey in the oven to the 'whoosh' of the flames as the brandy-soaked pudding comes alight, Christmas is a wonderful time for the senses. But have you ever considered the science behind our best-loved festive traditions?
There are many ways you can get involved in the School, your relationship with us doesn't end with graduation.
- Matthew Barton
- Partner, Forresters, BSc. (Hons) Chemistry with Analytical Science (1998), PhD Chemistry (2001)
- Stuart James Cantrill
- Chief Editor, Nature Chemistry at Nature Publishing Group, BSc in Chemistry and Bioorganic Chemistry, 1996, MPhil in Chemistry, 1997