The Department is a leader in practical theatre making, and places the role of the performer at the centre of the theatrical event.
One of the best of the established British university drama departments, the Department of Drama and Theatre Arts at Birmingham enjoys a highly respected national and international reputation for excellence in teaching and research in the study of Drama. We are ranked 5th in the Guardian League Tables for 2014. Students acquire an all around theoretical knowledge of theatre, as well as direct experience of performance.
The Department's aims are to
- Maintain an intellectually challenging and stimulating curriculum
- Enhance students' learning experience by offering courses which are informed by the theoretical and practical research of staff members
- Encourage students to see the interdependence of academic and applied theatre work
- Enable students to gain practical experience of performance and theatre crafts within an academic context
- Attract high quality students with a broad range of academic and performance interests