Postgraduate study in Shakespeare: an open afternoon at The Other Place
- The Other Place - Stratford-upon-Avon
- Arts and Law
An event for prospective postgraduate students with an interest in Shakespeare.
The University of Birmingham is engaged in an exciting collaboration with the Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) at The Other Place theatre in Stratford-upon-Avon. On Saturday 13 May 2017, we are opening the doors to The Other Place, and our unique collaboration, to invite prospective postgraduate students to learn more about our range of innovative study opportunities for September 2017 and beyond.
The event is for prospective postgraduate students interested in developing or advancing careers in creative or academic fields - from teaching and lecturing to writing, acting or directing - as well as anyone with an interest in Shakespeare. It will give you a taster of postgraduate study with the Shakespeare Institute, access to RSC experts and The Other Place itself, and a chance to hear first-hand what it is like to study in Stratford-upon-Avon.
The programme includes:
- A choice of workshop taster sessions with RSC artists and the University's Creative Fellow, focused on education, performance or research
- An original performance from Shakespeare Institute MA students, developed as part of their programme
- The opportunity to ask your own questions about postgraduate study and have them answered by current and former Shakespeare Institute students and members of University of Birmingham and Royal Shakespeare Company staff
- Practical advice on applying for, and funding, postgraduate study
Tea, coffee and biscuits will be available.
Book your place
Tickets are free but must be booked in advance through the RSC Education Box Office by telephoning
+44 (0)1789 403 434 (8:30 - 17:00, Monday-Friday during UK term time)
The booking deadline is Friday 28 April 2017. Please note that spaces are limited and places will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
Opened in 2016 to coincide with the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare’s death, The Other Place is a creative hub for rehearsal, training, learning and research. Through jointly-delivered postgraduate programmes, students have the chance to access creative and teaching spaces at The Other Place, and to draw on the experience of RSC artists and practitioners.
[Photo: Shakespeare Institute students after their performance at The Other Place]