Research in the School of English, Drama and American and Canadian Studies covers a range of subjects including English Literature and Language, Drama, Film, Creative Writing, American and Canadian Studies and Shakespeare Studies.
During 2017 - 2022 research in the School will focus on the following areas:
- Medieval & Early Modern Literature and Shakespeare
- Eighteenth-Century Literature and Romanticism
- Literature and Culture after 1850
- Critical Creativity (including Film and Creative Writing)
- Literary Editing
- English Language and Applied Linguistics
- Theatre History and Historiography, and Contemporary Performance Studies
Contemporary Studies is a major cross-cutting theme in the School’s research strategy. The School hosts six Research Centres as well as hosting international visiting researchers through the Centre for Advanced Research in English.
International visiting researchers