Q1. Do you accept admissions documents by email?

Presently, we can accept certain documents by email to make a conditional offer. We can accept the research proposal, or references direct from the referee, by email, provided that an application form has already been completed. If an official or certified copy of a document is required it will be requested in the Admissions offer letter.

The email address to use is, either admissions (outlined in the University letter sent or emailed to applicants), or the School on:


The name of the applicant, desired course, and if possible, the application ID should be included in the email.

Q2. How much does it cost to study here?

Tuition fees are in the postgraduate prospectus, and more information is available on the Postgraduate fees and funding page.

Please email the admissions team at eeepostgrad@bham.ac.uk for further information and clarification.

Q3. Do you do a January start for MSc?

At present, our MSc courses start in October each academic year and run for 12 months.

Q4. What is the course duration?

Our MSc courses last for 12 months and are full time. MSc with industrial studies courses are 18 months in duration. MRes courses are 1 year full time and up to one year writing up.

PhD courses last for 3 years and MPhil for 12 months. The writing up period for both of these is 1 year.

Please note that the writing up period for PhD, MPhil and MRes incurs a tuition fee that is not covered by EPSRC or School scholarships.

Q5. What funding is available for postgraduate study in Electronic Engineering?

There is no specific funding at present for MSc study.  Partial scholarships are often available for students demonstrating academic excellence. However, we do have the following for research courses. All funds are subject to satisfactory performance and are paid in monthly installments.


UK Students with a 2.1 or above at UG level can obtain full funding for an MRes course (fees + £10,000 maintenance). In 2007/08 10 scholarhsips were available.

Students are automatically considered when they apply for an MRes course. EU students can get assistance with fees only.


Home / UK:  Students with a 2.1 or above at UG level can obtain full funding for an PhD for 3 years (fees + £12,600 maintenance). In 2007/08, 6 scholarships were available. Students are automatically considered when they apply for a PhD.


Fees only scholarships are available.

Overseas students

Students of a high academic standard can be considered for ORS or DHPA.

A limited number of School awards may also be available, which provide assistance with maintenance costs. All awards are assessed on academic ability. Students must state whether they are seeking funding on their course application form.

International and University scholarship information can be found at the postgraduate fees and funding pages.

Q6. What information is required for an application for
PhD and MSc?

For MSc, we require a copy of your undergraduate transcripts, and (if applicable) evidence of your English language scores. We can accept scanned transcripts but offers will usually be made on the condition that an official copy be presented at a later stage. We usually require applicants to have completed a bachelors degree (or equivalent) for entry.

For PhD, we require the above as well as a brief research proposal outlining your area of study. We usally expect applicants to have a postgraduate qualification, or a first or high 2.1 at undergraduate level.

CVs and resumes are not required for admissions purposes. We do not specifically ask for a statement of purpose. Due to the technical nature of our courses, decisions are made on the basis of academic ability at undergraduate or postgraduate level, so A-Levels, school qualifications and pre-university qualifications are not considered.

Q7. How do I apply for an MSc or PhD course
at Birmingham?

Application information is available. Once you have submitted your application, you will be sent an ID number by email which should be included on each document sent in. We require copies of your transcripts, IELTS scores (if applicable) and two academic references.

This also applies for Research degree (MPhil & PhD) applications, and the MRes (taught / research). A one or two page research proposal is required for research applications. The selection of courses available can be found on the following pages:

Q8. What are the English language requirements for study
in Electronic, Electrical and Sysyems Engineering?

For both MSc and PhD, we require the following:

 Standard degree programmes'with industrial studies' degree programmes
Academic requirement At least a II(ii) honours degree At least a II(ii) honours degree
Evidence of English language ability for international students IELTS 6.0 IELTS 6.5
Pearson PTE Academic 51 Pearson PTE Academic 67

Q9. My previous degree was taught in English, am I still required to do a IELTS exam?

Proof of English language (IELTS) is required for all applicants who studied in non-traditional English speaking countries (for example India, China, Pakistan, Malaysia, some EU countries), even where degree courses were taught in English. At present, we do not have details of the standard of English taught in some countries, but the International Office and Admissions Teams are constantly reviewing this information.

We do not require English language scores from countries such as Nigeria, Ghana and other African English speaking countries.

Q10. I am an overseas student but studied my previous
degree in the UK - do I still have to take an English exam?

Overseas students who studied their previous degree in the UK, the US, or Australia, within the last 2 years, are not required to take another English language test. 

Where previous study was completed more than two years before the start of the course that you are applying to, an English language test may have to be retaken, unless you have spent a period of time in the UK after the completion of your degree.

Q11. I am a current University of Birmingham student - are all the application documents and English scores still required of me?

The first point of contact for MRes, MSc and PhD enquiries in Electronic Engineering should be the Postgraduate Office who can be contacted at eeepostgrad@bham.ac.uk.

The MSc course director is Mr D Pycock who can be contacted at d.pycock@bham.ac.uk.

Q12. I am interested in doing a PhD in a chosen area.
Should I contact potential supervisors before I apply?

Supervisors are not permitted to make admission decisions and can only make an interim decision once they have seen a completed application.  Students must first complete an application form and apply in the traditional manner.   Decisions are finalised by the Admissions Tutor who will decide whether your academic background is suited to PhD study before an offer can be made.  Once an offer is made you can discuss aspects of your research with your allocated supervisor.  Please note that supervisors are limited on the number of students they can supervise per academic year. Some applicants who meet the academic requirements will be not made an offer if no supervision is available.

Research topics are normally suggested once an offer is made, but these can be changed on arrival after discussion with the supervisor.

Q13. Do you run any courses in Power, Power Electronics
or Control?

At present, the University of Birmingham does not currently run an MSc course in Power Electronics.  This situtation may change in the future.

Q14. Does the School offer part-time courses?
What are the course durations?

All of our MSc and PhD courses can be offered full or part-time for UK and EU students. We are unable to offer part-time courses to international students unless they already hold a job in the UK, or hold the necessary work permit or contract of employment.

A part-time PhD is taken over six years plus one or two years for 'writing up'. 

The duration for part-time MSc courses is normally four years (six years maximum).

For a more detailed explanation of how part-time courses work, please contact the Postgraduate Office on eeepostgrad@bham.ac.uk or m.m.winkles@bham.ac.uk

At present, the MRes is only offered on a full-time basis. Industrial studies courses cannot be offered part-time due to the format of the course.

Q15. Who do I contact for more information on postgraduate courses?

The first point of call should be the Postgraduate Office who can be contacted on eeepostgrad@bham.ac.uk.

Alternative email addresses:


or the MSc Programme Director, Mr David Pycock:


Q16. How does the Industrial Studies option work?

Tuition fees for Industrial Studies course are higher than traditional MScs. However, students will only proceed to an industrial placement should they meet the required number of credits and grade (usually around 60%+). If they do not meet this grade, or if a placement cannot be found, the extra fees are refunded. Students are required to attend an interview at the company so also need to pass this to be successful. We will endeavour to place as many students as possible. All employment will be paid.